News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search


Subsidised flu vaccine distribution on track

27 April 2005

Subsidised flu vaccine distribution on track

People have been getting subsidised influenza vaccines from Tuesday 26 April as the Ministry of Health and PHARMAC stated on Friday.

Responding to media comment on the delivery of the vaccine, PHARMAC confirms that the distribution is on track.

The first 100,000 doses have been distributed, of a total 510,000 subsidised vaccines. A further 180,000 doses will be available during the week starting May 2 and 230,000 doses to come the following week, says PHARMAC Medical Director Dr Peter Moodie.

In previous years, only 450,000 people had sought the subsidised vaccine.

“GPs and vaccinators will have stock on hand to enable them to start delivering the subsidised vaccine, however, not all patients will be vaccinated in the first week,” Dr Peter Moodie says.

“About 75 percent of orders for full strength influenza vaccine received has been delivered, with the remaining 25% delivered by today. The programme runs until 31 July,” Dr Peter Moodie says.

“Information has been sent out to GPs asking them to prioritise their patients so that the highest priority patients get vaccinated first. It is important to give those patients protection first as the campaign is getting underway later than usual this year.

“We would expect that by the end of the second week of May all eligible people who want to have a Government-funded flu vaccination will be able to have one.”

Ministry of Health spokesperson Dr Alison Roberts says any new information will be sent out to vaccinators to keep them informed about the campaign roll-out.

“Both PHARMAC and the Ministry acknowledge the co-operation of general practitioners in this campaign,” Dr Roberts says. “There has been a degree of uncertainty around when vaccine would be available so we appreciate the patience of the primary care sector.”

Vaccines are being sourced from three suppliers, GlaxoSmithKline, CSL and Solvay.


© Scoop Media

Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines


Electronica: Restoring The World’s First Recorded Computer Music

University of Canterbury Distinguished Professor Jack Copeland and UC alumni and composer Jason Long have restored the earliest known recording of computer-generated music, created more than 65 years ago using programming techniques devised by Alan Turing. More>>


Scoop Review Of Books: Almost Getting Away With Murder

The Black Widow by Lee-Anne Cartier: Lee-Anne Cartier is the sister of the Christchurch man found to have been murdered by his wife, Helen Milner, after an initial assumption by police that his death, in 2009, was suicide. More>>

Howard Davis: Triple Echo - The Malevich/Reinhardt/Hotere Nexus

Howard Davis: The current juxtaposition of works by Ralph Hotere and Ad Reinhardt at Te Papa perfectly exemplifies Jean Michel Massing's preoccupation with the transmigration of imagery in a remarkable triple echo effect... More>>

Scoop Review Of Books: Nō Tāu Manawa

Vaughan Rapatahana responds to Fale Aitu | Spirit House by Tusiata Avi: "fa’afetai Tusiata, fa’afetai, / you’ve swerved & served us a masterclass corpus / through graft / of tears & fears..." More>>

9 Golds - 21 Medals: NZ Team Celebrates As Rio 2016 Paralympic Games Close

The entire New Zealand Paralympic Team, led by kiwi sprinter and double gold medallist Liam Malone as flag bearer, are on the bus to the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro for the Closing Ceremony of the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. There, they will celebrate the fantastic successes of the past 10 days. More>>


New Zealand Improv Festival: The Festival Of Moments To Return To The Capital

The eighth incarnation of the New Zealand Improv Festival comes to BATS Theatre this 4-8 October , with a stellar line-up of spontaneous theatre and instant comedy performed and directed by top improvisors from around New Zealand and the world. More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news