News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 


Birth Rates for Older Women Continue to Rise

Birth Rates for Older Women Continue to Rise

Birth rates for New Zealand women aged 30 years and over have increased over the last decade, Statistics New Zealand reported today. In the March 2005 year, women aged 30–34 years had the highest fertility rate (119 births per 1,000 women), up from 106 births per 1,000 in 1995.

In contrast, the fertility rate for women aged under 30 has dropped. The largest fertility decrease occurred among women aged 20–24 years; down 17 percent, from 84 per 1,000 in 1995 to 70 per 1,000 in 2005.

The median age (half are younger, and half older, than this age) of New Zealand women giving birth is now 30 years, compared with 28 years in 1995, and 25 years in 1975. The median age of women giving birth to their first child was 28 years in the year ended March 2005.

Annual birth rates for the March 2005 year suggest that New Zealand women average 2.0 births per woman. This is below the level required for a population to replace itself without migration (2.1 births per woman). Sub-replacement fertility is common among developed countries, including France (1.9 births per woman), Australia (1.8), the Netherlands, England and Wales, and Sweden (all 1.7). Some countries, notably Italy and Spain, have recorded very low fertility levels in recent years (fewer than 1.3 births per woman). The United States' total fertility rate has been similar to New Zealand's in recent years.

There were 57,630 live births registered in New Zealand in the March 2005 year, 1.8 percent higher than the annual average over the last decade (56,630). During the March 2005 year, births of 29,600 boys and 28,030 girls were registered.

Deaths registered in the March 2005 year totalled 28,240, compared with 28,200 in the March 2004 year. The New Zealand abridged life table for 2001–2003 indicates that a newborn girl can expect to live, on average, 81.2 years, and a newborn boy 76.7 years. These represent gains of 1.5 years for females and 2.3 years for males since 1995–1997.

The infant (under one year of age) mortality rate has dropped over the last decade, from 7.3 deaths per 1,000 live births in 1995 to 5.8 per 1,000 in the March 2005 year.

The natural increase of population (excess of births over deaths) was 29,380 in the March 2005 year, up 710 (2.5 percent) on the year ended March 2004. Natural increase accounted for 74 percent of the population growth during the March 2005 year, and net migration the remaining 26 percent.

Brian Pink
Government Statistician
END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Electronica: Restoring The World’s First Recorded Computer Music

University of Canterbury Distinguished Professor Jack Copeland and UC alumni and composer Jason Long have restored the earliest known recording of computer-generated music, created more than 65 years ago using programming techniques devised by Alan Turing. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Review Of Books: Almost Getting Away With Murder

The Black Widow by Lee-Anne Cartier: Lee-Anne Cartier is the sister of the Christchurch man found to have been murdered by his wife, Helen Milner, after an initial assumption by police that his death, in 2009, was suicide. More>>

Howard Davis: Triple Echo - The Malevich/Reinhardt/Hotere Nexus

Howard Davis: The current juxtaposition of works by Ralph Hotere and Ad Reinhardt at Te Papa perfectly exemplifies Jean Michel Massing's preoccupation with the transmigration of imagery in a remarkable triple echo effect... More>>

Scoop Review Of Books: Nō Tāu Manawa

Vaughan Rapatahana responds to Fale Aitu | Spirit House by Tusiata Avi: "fa’afetai Tusiata, fa’afetai, / you’ve swerved & served us a masterclass corpus / through graft / of tears & fears..." More>>

9 Golds - 21 Medals: NZ Team Celebrates As Rio 2016 Paralympic Games Close

The entire New Zealand Paralympic Team, led by kiwi sprinter and double gold medallist Liam Malone as flag bearer, are on the bus to the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro for the Closing Ceremony of the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. There, they will celebrate the fantastic successes of the past 10 days. More>>

ALSO:

New Zealand Improv Festival: The Festival Of Moments To Return To The Capital

The eighth incarnation of the New Zealand Improv Festival comes to BATS Theatre this 4-8 October , with a stellar line-up of spontaneous theatre and instant comedy performed and directed by top improvisors from around New Zealand and the world. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Health
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news