News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 

Spending time supports child’s brain development

WellChild News Release 23.02.07

Spending time supports children’s brain development


Leading paediatricians say giving children time is especially important for growth and development in the first three years of life.

New Zealand Brainwave Trust’s medical spokesperson Dr Simon Rowley, says research suggests children who are nurtured, given every opportunity to explore the world and enjoy a variety of positive experiences, become flexible, empathetic and intelligent members of society in later life.

The Brainwave Trust was set up to use existing scientific research on brain development to enable children in New Zealand to reach their full potential.

“At birth our brains are only 15% connected. The other 85% of brain connections happen after birth in response to what we experience, particularly in the first three years,” says Dr Rowley.

“In order to become connected or 'wired up' we need lots of sensory experience to stimulate the brain cells to 'switch on' and talk to each other. This is most effectively done by parents and caregivers spending time with children and encouraging and facilitating exploration,” says Dr Rowley.

Research shows children who are neglected or raised in chaotic, abusive or violent circumstances fail to develop important characteristics like warmth and empathy.

“Their brains are ‘wired’ up for negativity and this does affect people in later life,” says Dr Rowley.

Well Child paediatrician Dr Marguerite Dalton agrees. She says giving time is the best gift a parent can give a child.

“The theme of Children’s Day this year is timely, given the recent United Nations Children’s Fund report which paints a bleak picture of how much time New Zealand parents and caregivers spend with their kids.”

“Interaction and engagement with our under 5’s is so important,” says Dr Dalton.

“Parents don’t need to spend a lot of money – getting kids involved in ordinary, every-day tasks, is a great way for them to feel connected, loved and special.”

“We need to make spending time with kids a habitual activity – something we do frequently and for the duration of a child’s youth,” says Dr Dalton.

This Children’s Day, Well Child encourages parents and caregivers to praise, talk to and spend time with children.

“Spending time can mean many things, but it does involve doing things together; like reading a book, playing a favourite game, eating, cooking, cleaning up the house, going for a walk or just having a cuddle – it’s only limited by your imagination,” says Dr Dalton.

Parents should also make time to immunise on time. Research shows delaying immunisation by as little as 30 days makes a child 4 times more likely to be hospitalised with whooping cough.

And don’t forget the routine Well Child checks – they’re free and provide a good opportunity to discuss the health and wellbeing of your child.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Facebook Announces New Changes: Combating Hate And Extremism

Some of these changes predate the tragic terrorist attack in Christchurch, New Zealand, but that attack, and the global response to it in the form of the Christchurch Call to Action, has strongly influenced the recent updates to our policies and their enforcement. More>>

Amazon Confirms: Lord Of The Rings Series To Shoot In NZ

Amazon Studios announced today that its series based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s iconic fantasy novels The Lord of the Rings will shoot in New Zealand. Pre-production has started, and production on the series will begin in Auckland in the coming months. More>>

ALSO:

Birds: Dunedin's Bells Ring As City Celebrates Its Albatross

The city's churches, schools and public buildings bells would chime in unison from 1pm, in what has been a long-standing tradition marking the return of the birds - and a farewell to this season's albatross chicks. More>>

Oscar Buzz: Waititi's Jojo Rabbit Wins People's Choice Award At Toronto

Taika Waititi's new film Jojo Rabbit has nabbed the coveted Grolsch People's Choice Award at the close of Toronto International Film Festival. More>>

ALSO:

Broken Estate: An Expat Expert Surveys Our Media

Melanie Bunce cut her teeth in journalism at the Otago Daily Times. Now she teaches and researches it at one of the UK’s most prestigious journalism schools and tracks the trends that shape the uncertain future of news... More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • CULTURE
  • HEALTH
  • EDUCATION
 
 
  • Wellington
  • Christchurch
  • Auckland