Shellfish health warning lifted, Opotiki-Lottin Pt
PRESS RELEASE 23 January 2008
Shellfish health warning lifted between Opotiki and Lottin Point
The health warning issued on 27 September 2007 advising people not to collect or consume all bi-valve shellfish between Opotiki and Lottin Point has been lifted by the Medical Officer of Health.
Further sampling undertaken by the New Zealand Food Safety Authority has found the level of Paralytic Shellfish Poison (PSP) toxin has dropped and stabilised.
“Regular testing of shellfish will continue as part of the ongoing bio toxin monitoring programme,” says Dr Phil Shoemack, Medical Officer of Health. “This is to ensure that any increases in toxin levels are detected promptly. If there is any doubt you can contact the Health Protection unit of Toi Te Ora - Public Health or look for warning signs at beach access points,” says Dr Shoemack.
The New Zealand Food Safety Authority publishes up-to-date information on www.nzfsa.govt.nz
For all health protection enquiries contact Toi Te Ora - Public Health: