News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 

Clinic knows from experience how to treat addicts

Media release – August 14, 2008

Head of NZ’s newest rehabilitation clinic knows from experience how to treat addicts

The head of New Zealand’s newest rehabilitation clinic for drug, alcohol, eating and gambling addictions knows exactly how to treat people crying out for help.

Serenity Clinic opens in Auckland on August 25 and the general manager Murdoch, the name he goes by, is a former drug addict. The clinic has the backing of Waitakere mayor Bob Harvey.

Murdoch said today the last time he received treatment he was one of 53 people seeking help.
After a year only five of them were ‘clean’ and after two years just two of them had kicked their addictive habits.

``We admitted we were powerless over drugs but I always had a problem with accepting that. I believe people, like myself, are not powerless if we make a decision not to use them.

``Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous say if you don’t follow their programme you die spirituality, emotionally and physically. This isn’t true. They also say that only 10 percent of those that enter their doors will find recovery. What happens to the other 90 percent?

``At Serenity we will treat people how they present, find out the under lying reason they use drugs. We’ll fill the void so the need will be gone.’’

Murdoch said the government was funding mental health areas and addiction on outdated models of treatment that had ``appalling’’ rates of success. Serenity will have a 70 percent success rate after the first year, if they don’t they will close their doors, he said.

Serenity had already received a number of inquiries through their www.serenitynz.co.nz website.

An American head of treatment programmes for methamphetamine for the state of Minnesota and the US government Richard Moldenhauer today endorsed the environment and setting of the West Auckland Clinic.

"By the time someone seeks treatment for methamphetamine addiction, their life is, by definition, chaotic and out of control. The calmer, more re-assuring an environment a facility can provide (like serenity) the more conducive it is to repair and recovery. Calm staff plus calm setting equal calmer clients."

Murdoch said they expected inquiries from Australia because people liked the idea of being away from their home environment to at least have some confidentiality.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 
Kakī: World’s Rarest Wading Bird Released In Mackenzie Basin

Conservation Minister Maggie Barry says the birds will add to the 60 released into the Tasman valley earlier this month, significantly boosting the wild population. More>>

ALSO:

IHC Tribute: Colin Meads

"While Colin is best known for rugby, to us he is one of a small number of distinguished IHC New Zealand Life Members recognised for their significant support for people with intellectual disabilities," says IHC Chief Executive Ralph Jones. More>>

ALSO:

Howard Davis Review: Tilting at Turbines - The Trip to Spain

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have now both broken the Big Fifty barrier, which seems to have brought a whole new level of angst to their midlife adventures ... More>>

Review: A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet

The Royal New Zealand Ballet has accepted the challenge of this heart-touching tragedy and largely succeeded. More>>

ALSO:

NZ's First Male IAAF Gold: Tom Walsh's Historic Shot Put Victory

Although feeling very sore but with a great feeling Tom Walsh took his place as number one on the victory dais to receive his much deserved gold medal. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Review Of Books: Q&A: Hard To Find Books

"Unfortunately we are in crisis and this friendly dinosaur faces extinction… Our only hope is to try and raise funds to buy the building and restore it to its glory, either fully funded or with a viable deposit." More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • CULTURE
  • HEALTH
  • EDUCATION
 
 
  • Wellington
  • Christchurch
  • Auckland