News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 


Potentially toxic blue-green algae found in Otago

December 6, 2012

Potentially toxic blue-green algae found in Otago

The Otago Regional Council (ORC) is warning the public to avoid contact and keep their dogs away from two popular Otago swimming locations after the discovery of potentially toxic algal blooms over the past two days.

ORC director of environmental information and science John Threlfall said Lake Waihola south of Dunedin and the upper Tomahawk lagoon contain the potentially toxic blue-green algae Anabaena lemmermannii.

This algae, which is dark green, can produce a series of toxins which are then passed to the water and can be fatal to dogs and cause illness in people.

Otago-Southland medical officer of health Dr Marion Poore said people swimming in water with increased levels of algal bloom have been known to develop allergic reactions: asthma, eye irritations, rashes, blistering around the mouth and nose, and gastro-intestinal disorders, including abdominal pain, cramps, and diarrhoea.

People should not swim in Lake Waihola and Tomahawk lagoon, and other water users, including fishermen and boat users, should exercise caution, Dr Poore said.

Any reaction depends on the type of toxins present, and the concentration of the toxin in the water. The higher the concentration of toxins and the longer the contact with the water, the more severe the symptoms are likely to be.

Dogs are particularly susceptible to poisoning from both mat-forming and free-floating toxic algae as they enjoy being in the water and can consume these algae intentionally or by accident. Livestock are also at risk from poisoning from cytotoxins and should be provided with alternative drinking water.

Symptoms of poisoning in animals exposed to the type of toxins present in anabaena mats include lethargy, muscle tremors, fast breathing, twitching, paralysis, convulsions. In extreme cases, death can occur within 30 minutes after signs first appear.

“In the case of illness or suspected illness after swallowing water containing algal bloom, seek advice from your doctor. If your animals become sick, contact your veterinarian immediately," Dr Poore said.

ORC will put out warning signs at the locations where the algae has been found and will continue to monitor the situation.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Review: Henry Rollins Burning Down The House

With his lantern jaw, close-cropped hair, and muscle-bound physique, Henry Rollins could not be further from the US Marine image his appearance might suggest. More>>

A Series Of Tubes: 150 Years Of The Cook Strait Cable

“It was a momentous achievement for its time. The successful connection came on the third attempt at laying the cable, and followed a near disaster when the first cable snapped - almost destroying the ship Weymouth in the process,” says Ms Adams. More>>

ALSO:

February 2017: Guns N' Roses - New Zealand Dates Announced

Founder Axl Rose and former members, Slash and Duff McKagan have regrouped for one of the century’s most anticipated tours... Rolling Stone said: "This was the real thing, the thing we'd all been waiting for: the triumphant return of one of the most important bands to cross rock music history. And it happened in our lifetime.” More>>

Werewolf: Brando, Peckinpah And Billy The Kid

Gordon Campbell: Initially, One-Eyed Jacks was supposed to have been directed by Stanley Kubrick from a script by Sam Peckinpah – yet it quickly became Brando’s baby... More>>

Book Awards: ANZAC Heroes Wins Margaret Mahy Book Of The Year

“Simply stunning, with gold-standard production values,” say the judges of the winner of this year’s Margaret Mahy Book of the Year Award in the prestigious New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults. ANZAC Heroes is also the winner of the Elsie Locke Award for the Best Book in the Non-Fiction category. More>>

Baby Animals: Hamilton Zoo Rhino Calf Named

Hamilton Zoo’s latest rhino calf has been named Samburu and he's being celebrated with a unique zoo experience... Samburu arrived after his mother Kito’s 16-month pregnancy and the calf brings the number of white rhinos at Hamilton Zoo to six. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Health
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news