News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 


Measles alert in Hawke’s Bay

6 March 2014

Measles alert in Hawke’s Bay

Two young New Zealand men, who recently travelled overseas, have been diagnosed with measles in Hawke’s Bay.

Both are now well, out of isolation and were not hospitalised.

These are the first confirmed cases of measles in Hawke’s Bay since 2012.

Medical Officer of Health Caroline McElnay said exposure to other people in Hawke’s Bay was unlikely, but possible.

Dr McElnay said those people who had flown with these two passengers on Air New Zealand from Brisbane to Auckland on Flight NZ136 leaving Brisbane at 11:15am on Sunday 23 February, and sat nearest to them would be followed up by public health either in Auckland or by their own public health service.

“However because measles is an infectious, airborne disease, we want everyone to be vigilant, and make sure vaccinations are up-to-date.”

It can take 10-14 days for someone who has caught measles to start showing any symptoms.

Measles symptoms include a high fever, cough, runny nose, red eyes and a rash that starts on the face and neck before spreading elsewhere. The rash is not itchy and fades during the first week. A person with measles looks and feels unwell and about 10 percent of people with measles need admission to hospital.
Measles is more serious in young infants and in older adults, as well as people with low immunity.

There have been 79 confirmed cases of measles reported in New Zealand since the end of December 2013 which includes the two recent cases in Hawke’s Bay.


Measles can be a serious illness, Dr McElnay said. “There is no treatment. The only way to avoid catching measles is to have had two measles vaccines after your first birthday.”

She urged anyone uncertain of whether they or their family were vaccinated to check with their GP to see if they were protected.
ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Snell Sale Peters Out: Singlet Withdrawn From Sale

“We believe the item was offered for sale in good faith, but our inquiries have shown that the singlet is not the one worn by Peter Snell at the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games.” More>>

ALSO:

Bodega: Venue Closing At The End Of The Year, After 25 Years Of Music

"It is with considerable sadness that, for reasons beyond our control, we regret to announce the closure of Bodega’s doors at the end of this year, after 25 years of faithful and committed service to live music in Wellington." More>>

Scoop Review Of Books: Women At The Centre

In the first chapter of her epic History of New Zealand Women, Barbara Brookes places a version of the Māori creation story alongside that of the Pākehā colonists, setting the scene for how each society saw women. The contrast is startling. More>>

In Auckland Art Gallery: A Tour Of Duty

I had already started my journey through the exhibited collections when an audio announcement about a guided tour to embark shortly from the foyer was made, I decided to join in. Why not? More>>

Art: ‘Holiday’ Wins IHC Art Awards

An intricate embroidered cushion by Wellington artist Jo-Anne Tapiki has won the 2016 IHC Art Awards and $5000. Jo-Anne started working from IHC’s Arts on High studio in Lower Hutt 18 months ago and this is the first time she has entered the competition. More>>

‘Quasi’: Christchurch Art Gallery Reveals Rooftop Sculpture

Christchurch-born and internationally renowned artist Ronnie van Hout has had a huge hand in Christchurch Art Gallery's latest outdoor installation. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Health
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news