St John patient part charges to increase 1 April 2014
St John patient part charges to increase 1 April
On 1 April 2014 the St John
emergency ambulance patient part charge will increase by
either $4.00 or $13.00, to a single rate of $88.00 across
New Zealand (from two rates of $75.00 and $84.00
The flat rate charge for those not
eligible for New Zealand publicly funded health services
will also increase - from $769.00 to $800.00.
charges a part charge to patients who are treated by an
ambulance officer or who are transported in an ambulance,
because of a medical emergency.
“We are increasing our
part charges in response to increasing demand for our
services. In the year ending 30 June 2013 the number of 111
emergency calls for an ambulance increased by over 14,000
compared to the previous year,” says St John Operations
Director Michael Brooke.
“People tell us they are
comfortable to pay a part charge, given the high quality of
the service and treatment they receive, and when they
understand that the part charge goes towards funding
frontline ambulance staff.”
Table of patient
part charges for medical
rate||Rate as at 1 April
|Northland, Taranaki, Manawatu,
Waikato (including Taumarunui), Bay of Plenty, Hawke’s
Bay, Lakes, Tairawhiti, all of the South
NB St John
does not provide emergency ambulance services in Wellington
or the Wairarapa.
Contracts with the Ministry of Health, ACC
and District Health Boards fund nearly 80% of St John
Ambulance Service direct operating costs. The shortfall is
made up from community donations, fundraising, revenue from
commercial activities, the contribution of volunteers, as
well as contributions from part charges. St John is a
charity and relies on financial and voluntary support from
the community to help fund all the services it provides to
Nearly 5,000 St John staff are involved in
emergency ambulance, patient transfer services and events -
over 60% of whom are volunteers. They care for and save the
lives of thousands of New Zealanders and visitors to the
country every year. St John staff treat over 415,000 people
© Scoop Media
Ray Columbus: NZ Music Icon Passes Away
60s New Zealand music Icon Ray Columbus has passed away peacefully at his home north of Auckland... Ray Columbus enjoyed more than three decades at the top of NZ entertainment as a singer, songwriter, bandleader, music manager and TV star. More>>
Review: Bernard Herrmann's Scores For 'Vertigo' & 'Psycho'
Howard Davis: The NZSO's adventurousness was richly-rewarded, as the deeply appreciative Wellington audience was given the opportunity not only to see a couple of Alfred Hitchcock's greatest films, but also to hear fine renditions of two of Bernard Herrmann's most accomplished film scores. More>>
Gordon Campbell: On Leonard Cohen
If Bob Dylan owned the 1960s, Leonard Cohen was an inescapable presence during the early 1970s period, pre-disco and pre-punk. More>>
Scoop Review Of Books: Pick And Camera
Through the eyes of a miner – the photography of Joseph Divis: The occupations of miner and photographer are seldom combined. The conjunction must have been very rare indeed in the era before hand-held cameras, high-speed film and flashlights More>>
- AUMAGA & SHEL WE? DOUBLE BILL at Pataka Srt & Museum -
- MUSIQUE ROMANTIQUE at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1 Kent Tce - An evening...
- WINE LIPS at BATS Theatre, The Heyday Dome, 1 Kent Tce - Cheeky start, complex p...
- STAND UP LOVE at BATS Theatre, The Heyday Dome, 1 Kent Tce - The abiding questio...
- RIDING IN CARS WITH MOSTLY STRAIGHT BOYS at Studio 77 Amphitheatre, 77 Fairlie T...
- MUSIQUE ROMANTIQUE at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1 Kent Tce - Skilful, s...
- SCARLET & GOLD at Circa Two - An intimate epic
- THE SHAKESPEARE REVUE at The Gleeson at the Albion Hotel, 119 Hobson Street - A ...
- THE BEAUTIFUL ONES at Lower NZI, Level 1, Aotea Centre - A high octane concoctio...
- VERNON GOD LITTLE at Basement Theatre, Lower Greys Ave - Exemplary talent
- THE BEAUTIFUL ONES at Lower NZI, Level 1, Aotea Centre - Slice of Nightlife
- VERNON GOD LITTLE at Basement Theatre, Lower Greys Ave - American Idiot
- VERNON GOD LITTLE at Basement Theatre, Lower Greys Ave - Satirical play has spoo...
- THE BEAUTIFUL ONES at Lower NZI, Level 1, Aotea Centre - Offers welcome addition...