St John patient part charges to increase 1 April 2014
St John patient part charges to increase 1 April
On 1 April 2014 the St John
emergency ambulance patient part charge will increase by
either $4.00 or $13.00, to a single rate of $88.00 across
New Zealand (from two rates of $75.00 and $84.00
The flat rate charge for those not
eligible for New Zealand publicly funded health services
will also increase - from $769.00 to $800.00.
charges a part charge to patients who are treated by an
ambulance officer or who are transported in an ambulance,
because of a medical emergency.
“We are increasing our
part charges in response to increasing demand for our
services. In the year ending 30 June 2013 the number of 111
emergency calls for an ambulance increased by over 14,000
compared to the previous year,” says St John Operations
Director Michael Brooke.
“People tell us they are
comfortable to pay a part charge, given the high quality of
the service and treatment they receive, and when they
understand that the part charge goes towards funding
frontline ambulance staff.”
Table of patient
part charges for medical
rate||Rate as at 1 April
|Northland, Taranaki, Manawatu,
Waikato (including Taumarunui), Bay of Plenty, Hawke’s
Bay, Lakes, Tairawhiti, all of the South
NB St John
does not provide emergency ambulance services in Wellington
or the Wairarapa.
Contracts with the Ministry of Health, ACC
and District Health Boards fund nearly 80% of St John
Ambulance Service direct operating costs. The shortfall is
made up from community donations, fundraising, revenue from
commercial activities, the contribution of volunteers, as
well as contributions from part charges. St John is a
charity and relies on financial and voluntary support from
the community to help fund all the services it provides to
Nearly 5,000 St John staff are involved in
emergency ambulance, patient transfer services and events -
over 60% of whom are volunteers. They care for and save the
lives of thousands of New Zealanders and visitors to the
country every year. St John staff treat over 415,000 people
© Scoop Media
- LEGENDARY DIVAS at Circa Two - A great evening of musical entertainment
- HYDE at Gryphon Theatre, 22 Ghuznee Street - Abiding wisdoms and timely insights
- LEGENDARY DIVAS at Circa Two - Respect, humour, style and charm
- ONE HUNDRED REASONS FOR WAR at Whitireia Performance Centre, 25-27 Vivian Street...
- DEAD DAYS at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1 Kent Tce - Festival allows you...
- LIKE SEX at BATS Theatre, The Heyday Dome, 1 Kent Tce - Festival allows young ca...
- BLOODY HELL JESUS (GET YOUR OWN FRIENDS) at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1...