News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 


Auto Immune Disease success rate new string to bow


Auto Immune Disease success rate new string to bow for Diane Stride Dietitian

Havelock North Dietitian Diane Stride has added a new string to her list of treatments for patients now offering help to patients with Auto Immune Disease.

An auto-immune disease is where the body sets up an inflammatory response to its own cells and/or organs. It affects approximately 1:20 people.

Diane’s approach is to remove the potential triggers from the diet, challenging with the specific foods to determine the triggers and a sound maintenance diet.

Diane says the minimum time she has seen an improvement in patients is as little as two weeks and the maximum is three months.

She has helped patients significantly with lupus erythematosus, fibromyalgia (although isn't truly an auto-immune disease), rheumatoid arthritis (including a child), and spondyloarthropathies.

Diane did her training via dietitians in America who were having lots of success with dietary changes and Auto-immune conditions. There is a lot of research backing the role of diet.

“The reason I did the training was that I had lots of people asking me whether diet played a role in fibromyalgia.”

“At the same time, I had been on significant medications (immune-suppressant) for my own auto-immune disease and I wanted to know if diet/food was a trigger.”

“For a large percentage of people, food does seem to be a trigger. In my experience other triggers can be stress and physical exercise.”

Diane says dietary changes don’t cure the disease, but if it is a food trigger, it can significantly reduce the inflammation, the progression of the disease and often result in reduced medications or stopping them completely.

“One rheumatoid arthritis patient had a noticeable reduction in the swelling on her hands. The success rate is approximately 80%. For the other 20%, diet doesn't seem to be a trigger.

“The approach I use doesn't involve any additional supplements - it purely involves making dietary modifications.”

Diane is available for consultations at her clinic in Havelock North, Hawkes Bay she treats patients nation-wide.

For more information www.dietitianconsultant.co.nz


ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 
Sheep: Shearing Record Smashed In Hawke’s Bay

Three shearers gathered from around New Zealand have smashed a World record by 264 sheep despite the heat, the pumiced sheep of inland Hawke’s Bay and a year’s wool weighing an average of over 3.5kg a sheep. More>>

ALSO:

Carrie Fisher: Hollywood In-Breeding & The Velocity Of Being - Binoy Kampmark

There was always going to be a good deal of thick drama around Carrie Fisher, by her own confession, a product of Hollywood in-breeding. Her parents, Debbie Reynolds and the crooner Eddie Fisher, provided ample material for the gossip columns in a marriage breakup after Eddie sped away with Elizabeth Taylor. More>>

  • Image: Tracey Nearmy / EPA
  • Gordon Campbell: On The Best Albums Of 2016

    OK, I’m not even going to try and rationalise this surrender to a ‘best of’ listicle. Still…maybe there is an argument for making some semblance of narrative order out of a year that brought us Trump, Brexit and the deaths of Prince, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen and Alan Vega, who I missed just as much as the Big Three. So without further ado….oh, but first a word from the sponsor More>>

    Emojis: World’s First Māori Emoji App Launched

    It’s here - the world’s first Māori emoji app Emotiki has landed just in time for summer roadtrips and santa stockings, with 200 Māori and Kiwi cultural icons for people to share their kiwiana moments with each other and the world. More>>

    ALSO:

    Howard Davis: Album Of The Year - Van Morrison's 'Keep Me Singing'

    2016 was a grand year for Van The Man - The Belfast Cowboy turned 71, received a knighthood, and reissued an expanded set of soul-fired live recordings from 1973 ('It's Too Late to Stop Now'). In the game for 53 years now, Morrison's albums consistently open new windows into the heart and soul of one of the most enigmatic figures in modern music. More>>

    Review: The NZSO Performs Handel's Messiah

    Max Rashbrooke: Saturday night's performance took the piece back to something like the way it would have originally been performed when premiered in 1742, with an orchestra of 20-30 players and only a few more singers. More>>

    Culture: Rare Hundertwasser Conservation Posters Found After 40 Years

    When Jan and Arnold Heine put a roll of conservation posters into storage in 1974 they had no idea that 42 years later they would be collectors items. More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
    Health
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news