Perinatal Depression And Anxiety Awareness Week
Perinatal Depression And Anxiety Awareness Week Starts Discussions with Mums
Charity organisation Mothers Helpers is using Perinatal Depression and Anxiety (PNDA) Awareness Week (31 Oct. – 6 Nov.) to start a conversation with mums about their mental health.
The charity will be offering mums of young children a ‘Check Up from the Neck Up’—a quick, free, wellbeing mental health check at various locations around Auckland. Mums will be invited to complete the short Edinburgh PND survey; a simple 10 question survey internationally recognised in identifying women who may be at-risk of perinatal depression. Mums will also have the chance to talk to qualified counsellors about their symptoms, experience and different methods of support and help.
According to Mothers Helpers Chairperson, Kristina Paterson, “Perinatal Depression and Anxiety is hugely underdiagnosed in New Zealand. Our aim is to raise awareness and normalise PNDA, so that mothers (and their partners/families) can more easily identify symptoms, know where to turn for help and seek treatment.”
‘Check Ups from the Neck Up’ will be offered at the following locations during PNDA Awareness Week:
• Wed 2 Nov: Mangere Bridge Playcentre & Little
Monkey’s Playgroup in Te Atatu Peninsula
• Thurs 3 Nov from 5:30pm: Henderson Night Market (Under KMart)
• Fri 4 Nov from 5:30pm: Papatoetoe Night Market (Under KMart)
• Sat 5 Nov from 9:00am - 1:00pm: Orakei Market, Orakei Community Centre, Kepa Road
• Sat 5 Nov from 5:30pm: Pakuranga Night Market (Under The Warehouse)
• Sun 6 Nov from 8:00am: Browns Bay Market
Also during PNDA Awareness Week, Mothers Helpers will run the following awareness and fundraising events:
1. Mum’s Night Out movie event, Wednesday
2 November – a charity movie night at Westcity Event
Cinema screening Bridget Jones’ Baby. Tickets are $25
including, complementary popcorn and an exciting goodie
bag—thanks to our sponsors. A raffle with other generously
donated items will be held on the night. See sponsors
2. Fundraising auctions on Trademe – thanks to the generosity of our sponsors Mothers Helpers has some amazing items to auction, including a night’s accommodation and breakfast for two at the Grand Millennium Auckland, a Marcato Wellness Pasta Machine from DKSH, and Icebreaker merino, to name just a few. See sponsors below.
3. Funny Hair Day, Friday 4 November – a day for corporates to wear a funny hairstyle and bring a gold coin: it’s that simple!
Visit mothershelpers.co.nz/events for more information about these events.
Mum’s Night Out Movie Event
Bohemia Tea Co, Cuisine NZ House & Garden, Essano, Go Healthy, Les Mills, Lisa-Marie Hair Boutique, Look Sharp Store, My Food Bag, Pure Romance by Cherryll Thompson, Treasures, Treehouse Soy Candles and World Organics.
DKSH, Grand Millennium Auckland, Icebreaker, Jen Gibbs: author of SHE, Look Sharp Store, Tag Team Zumba Fitness, The Castle Pamela and TradeMe.