News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 

St John welcomes Government funding boost

MEDIA RELEASE 14/5/17

St John welcomes Government funding boost

St John welcomes today’s news that more than $100 million will be included in this year’s budget to provide double crewing of all emergency ambulance responses over the next four years.

The package also introduces a new sustainable funding model to increase St John’s baseline funding and to meet growing demand for ambulance services while addressing historic shortfalls.

“Ending single crewing is one of the most significant developments in our ambulance service history,” says Chief Executive Peter Bradley. “We will be able to recruit 430 frontline jobs over four years and provide rural New Zealand with the same crewing levels as urban areas – a move that will save more lives and make it safer for our crews.”

“It will also give us the chance to promote from within and for a large number of our volunteer ambulance officers to become paid staff.”

Mr Bradley says the funding shows the Government’s commitment to ambulance services and recognises St John’s unique role in the New Zealand health system. “It means we’ll be in a better position to meet the growing demand for emergency primary care and community health services.”

While 375 of these roles will address single crewing, the remaining roles will be to deal with current and future increases in demand.

He says phasing out single-crewed emergency ambulances has been a priority for several years, and the new funding model means St John can now plan for it with certainty.

“It will take time to gear up and implement, and the first step is reviewing each station across the country. One size does not fit all and we’ll be talking with local communities and our people on the ground to find the best approach in each area.”

One thing that won’t change is St John’s charity status and we will still need the support of New Zealanders through donations and part charges for ambulance services.

“We’ll still need to fund more than 25 per cent of our costs through donations and will continue to rely on the generosity of New Zealanders to maintain services and continue improving.”

-ENDS-
ST JOHN – AMBULANCE - FACTS:

• St John provides emergency ambulance services to nearly 90% of New Zealanders and covers 97% of the country’s geographical area

• St John treated and/or transported 437,978 patients in the last financial year (end June 2016)

• St John is made up of a mix of full-time paid employees and volunteer staff

• St John has contracts with Ministry of Health and ACC who have been funding just under 70% of the operating costs for the ambulance service. The remaining 30% has been funded through emergency ambulance part charges, fundraising and revenue from commercial activities such as first aid training and medical alarms. St John’s fundraising and commercial activities also support the organisation’s charitable community programmes.

Click here to view the distribution map

What’s Changing Current State April 2017 Future State 2021

• 91% full crewing

• 100% full crewing

• 35,849 single crewed responses (May 2016-April 2017)

• Zero single crewed responses

• 4,321 ambulance personnel (2,512 rural)

1,168 paid ambulance staff

3,153 ambulance volunteers

• 4,702* ambulance personnel (2,888 rural)

1,588 paid ambulance staff (up 420 plus 10 Clinical Control Centre staff, 430 up in total )

3,114 ambulance volunteers


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 
Wellington Rugby Zeroes: Sevens To Move To Hamilton

Wellington Mayor Justin Lester: “The Sevens has been a big part of recent Wellington history but it was time for the event to move on… Wellingtonians have been voting with their feet in the last few years and we’ve seen the result in dwindling crowd numbers and lower ticket sales.” More>>

ALSO:

Matafeo & Dravid: The Billy T And Fred Award Winners For 2017

At the final show of the 2017 NZ International Comedy Festival powered by Flick Electric Co. the Festival came to a close after 115 shows in Auckland and 68 shows in Wellington. More>>

Scoop Review Of Books: What’s Fair? Tax and Fairness

This is an excellent and timely book, since apart from general statements about increasing or mostly reducing tax, there has been very little comment or debate as to whether we should pay tax at all and how much tax should each of us pay. More>>

Ockham Awards: Globally Lauded Novelist Wins NZ’s Biggest Fiction Prize

Internationally renowned Ngāruawāhia resident Catherine Chidgey has won New Zealand’s richest writing award, the $50,000 Acorn Foundation Fiction Prize, for her novel The Wish Child. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • CULTURE
  • HEALTH
  • EDUCATION
 
 
  • Wellington
  • Christchurch
  • Auckland