Southern DHB calling patients to re-book appointments
Southern DHB calling patients to re-book postponed appointments
Southern DHB is phoning patients to reschedule appointments now that the New Zealand Nurses Organisation has withdrawn its strike notice for Thursday 05 July.
"The majority of appointments and elective surgeries that we postponed last week have now been rescheduled. We expect to make contact with all affected patients by no later than Wednesday," says Jenny Hanson, Southern DHB contingency planning lead.
"We appreciate our patients' understanding as we try to get them back in for their appointments, treatments and procedures as soon as possible."
Approximately 450 outpatient appointments have had to be postponed and rescheduled, mostly at Dunedin and Southland hospitals, due to the proposed 05 July strike by NZNO nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants.
A similar number will be affected by the Thursday 12 July strike, which is still scheduled to proceed. Southern DHB will phone patients whose appointments are affected by this strike beginning next week.
"Staff have done an excellent job of contingency planning and reaching out to patients, and we thank the public for their support while we try to get as many patients rescheduled for their appointments," says Chris Fleming Southern DHB Chief Executive.
Southern DHB continues to contingency plan for NZNO strike on Thursday 12 July, focusing on ensuring life preserving services and urgent care.
"Ensuring the safety of our communities is our priority and the people of Otago and Southland should know that urgent and emergency care will continue to be available should the 12 July strike go ahead," Mr Fleming says.