Dance for PD is coming to NZ
23 August 2018
Parkinson’s New Zealand is proud to partner with Dance for PD Australia to help spread the word of this world renowned programme. Lead by Dance for PD Australia’s director, Erica Rose Jeffrey, there will be a training workshop for potential Dance for PD teachers, followed by various free community classes held around the country.
Parkinson’s New Zealand is excited at the prospect of more Dance for PD classes being available to the Parkinson’s community. Parkinson’s New Zealand is committed to bringing more programmes like Dance for PD to New Zealand to increase the number of exercise options for people with Parkinson’s.
The upcoming training workshop to be held in Wellington on 8 and 9 September will be the first of its kind in New Zealand. The Dance for PD workshop is designed primarily to help dance teachers adapt their technique to work effectively with people with Parkinson’s.
The workshop will be run by Erica Rose Jeffrey. Erica Rose believes in the power of movement for positive social change and is the director of Peace Moves and Dance for Parkinson’s Australia. Erica Rose was integral in developing the Dance for PD programme in Australia and is now helping to facilitate the programme in New Zealand.
“I am excited that Erica Rose Jeffrey from Dance for PD Australia will be providing the opportunity to grow the number of people teaching dance for people with Parkinson's in Aotearoa. So spread the word, sign up and let's get the Parkinson's community moving and grooving,” says Physiotherapist at TBI Health, Rachel Horwell.
Rachel runs weekly Dance for PD classes in Porirua and Lower Hutt, Wellington. She is very passionate about her work and is eager to hear from anyone considering attending the workshop. Rachel wants to see as many people with Parkinson’s as possible empowered through dance. It is her hope that after the workshop there will be more classes available in smaller regions.
“Since attending the Dance for PD workshop in Brooklyn, New York in 2014 I hoped for people with Parkinson's throughout New Zealand to have access to similar classes, to experience the joy and freedom of movement from Dance," Rachel Horwell continues.
Upcoming Dance for Parkinson’s New Zealand events:
• Dance for Parkinson’s Training Workshop on 8 and 9 September at Te Whaea: National Dance & Drama Centre, 11 Hutchison Rd, Newtown, Wellington
More info here madmimi.com/s/78814c
• Free Community Class Wellington on 9 September, 11am at Te Whaea: National Dance & Drama Centre, 11 Hutchison Rd, Newtown. There will be light refreshments & discussion after the class
• Free Community Class Christchurch 11 September, 10am-12pm, with Dance to be Free, Impact Dance and Stage School, 450 Tuam Street, Christchurch. Contact Adriaan Beddie firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
• Free Community Class Dunedin 12 September, Erica Rose to be a guest Dance instructor to the regular Exercise group, at Mosgiel Presbyterian Church, 11 Church Street, Mosgiel. Contact Paula Ryan at email@example.com for more information
• Free Community Class Auckland 13 September, 1pm-3pm, Sunnynook Community centre, 148 Sycamore Drive, Sunnynook, Auckland. Contact Caroline Yandall on 0275204836 for more information
• Free Community Class Auckland 14 September, 10am-12pm, St Barnabas Church Hall, 283 Mount Eden Rd, Mount Eden, Auckland. Contact Margaret McNab on 0275204483 for more information
• Erica Rose Presentation Auckland 14 September, 1pm-3pm, University of Auckland - Erica Rose Presentation to post graduate students
• Weekly Dance for Parkinson’s Classes in Wellington with Rachel Horwell Tuesdays 10:30am-11:30am, Porirua Club, 1 Lodge Place, Porirua and 1pm-2pm, Bob Scott Retirement Village, 25 Graham Street, Lower Hutt, Koha is appreciated to cover costs