Scoop Today - More News From Scoop!
Send this email to a friend or acquaintance - or colleague - who will appreciate it. After all the service is FREE!
Matin Luther King - The Battle Continues
Martin Luther King Day Protests
- South Carolina was embroiled in protest yesterday as tens of thousands marched on the holiday commemorating slain civil rights leader Dr Martin Luther King, to protest the flying of the Confederate flag over the State capital. See... The Battle Against Symbols Of Slavery Goes On  in the Headlines wire. See also Albright Remarks On Martin Luther King, Jr. Day  .
Helen’s Silence Brings Enlightenment
- Scoop's Alastair Thompson discusses the ongoing debate over Maori Activist Titewhai Harawira's stand against Prime Minister Helen Clark speaking out of turn on the Waitangi Marae and concludes that some good is coming of all the hot air . See... Scoop Opinion: Titewhai Harawira Educates A Nation  in the Headlines wire.
-Australian soldiers have been accused of sexually harassing and terrorising young East Timorese girls the commanding officer of the Australian-led peacekeeping force has admitted today. John Howard reports. See... Australian Sexual Harassment In East Timor  in the Headlines wire.
Drug Smuggling Billionaire
- The trial challenging the name suppression of the drug importing billionaire caught bringing in cannabis into Auckland airport will not be heard until Thursday. See... Drug Billionaire’s Lawyer Stalls  in the Headlines wire.
- Pope John Paul is about to lose his job – Scoop has obtained a strange multi-lingual prayer for this religious monarch – perhaps it is a call from third world denominations who want the Papacy to represent them.. See... Open Letter To Pope Jean Paul II  in the General wire.
Putin's Nuclear Vow
-Russia's acting president, Vladimir Putin, last week reversed his country's vow never to use nuclear weapons first. The announcement sent shock waves around the world. See... STRATFOR: Nuclear Threats and Russia's Place  in the Headlines wire. Also see Scoop's John Howard's Special Report Russia Adopts New Nuclear Doctrine – West A Threat  in the Headlines wire. See Also... Putin Beats Drums Of Nationalism And Feminism  and Scoop Editorial: Putin Pushes Devil's Own Button 
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0001/S00041.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0001/S00038.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0001/S00026.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL9912/S00083.htm
Trade Deficit Worst in 13 Years
- Figures released today by Statistics New Zealand for the month of November 1999 show a growing deficit in the merchandise trade balance. See... Trade Deficit Continues to Grow  in the Business wire. The latest overseas merchandise trade figures are disappointing but not surprising, Finance Minister Michael Cullen said today. See... Cullen Comments on Trade Figures  in the Parliament wire.
Committee Not The Solution Says ACT
- ACT Finance spokesman Rodney Hide said today that Minister of Finance Dr Michael Cullen was dreaming to think that his Industry New Zealand Committee was a solution to the country's Balance of Payments problems. See... Planning Committee no substitute for sound policy  in the Parliament wire.
Vic’s Golden Handshakes
- State Services Minister Trevor Mallard said today he regretted that Victoria University is caught up in a golden handshake scandal with former Vice Chancellor Michael Irving and wants the exact amount made public. See... Victoria payout regrettable  in the Parliament wire. Students at Victoria University have welcomed calls by the State Services Minister Trevor Mallard for an end to golden handshakes for departing public servants. See... Students Welcome Mallard's Call  in the Education wire.
Politics Malaysian Style
- The Green Party is calling for New Zealand to join the United States' protest at the arrest of Malaysian opposition leaders. See... Greens Back Protest Against Malaysian Crackdown  in the Parliament wire. For Background see Amnesty International's Release in... Malaysian Government's Abuse of Power - AI  in the General wire.
State House Rents
- Housing Minister Mark Gosche said today that National MP Wyatt Creech’s suggestion that the new government had promised to fully introduce income related state house rents by July this year was wrong. See... National Wrong On Housing Claim  in the Parliament wire.
Prison Reform VS Restorative Justice
- The Minister of Corrections, Matt Robson has today been told his 'head in the sand' approach will spell disaster for the country's prisons. See... Head In Sand Approach Spells Prison Disaster.  However the New Minister for Courts, Matt Robson says he intends to develop existing initiatives to encourage people to settle disputes outside of the Courts system. See... Settle Disputes Out of Court - Robson  both in the Parliament wire. Nandor Tanzos agrees with Robson. See... Greens Welcome New Line On Prisons  .
- Metrowater, Auckland’s council owned water authority said yesterday it was disconnecting residents protesting against waste-water charges the company had introduced. Auckland Central MP Judith Tizard said because of this action she had reconsidered her decision to launch their "Water Conservation Advisory Service" . See... Tizard Refuses to Launch Metrowater ProjectTizard follows Tanczos over Metrowater  . Both releases are in the Parliament wire.
Labour’s Finding Out
- National has criticised the Labour government’s string of inquiries after taking office. Following, a list. See... Labour's Inquiries, Reviews and Investigations  in the Parliament wire.
Pacific People’s Pledge
- Unprecedented public sector departmental co-operation is aiming to deal with the poor socio-economic status of Pacific people, according to a briefing paper released by the Minister of Pacific Island Affairs today. See... Government Departments Will Help P.I.s  in the Parliament wire.
Howler’s New Rag
- On Monday 24 January a new magazine is launching in New Zealand, but its main story will affect residents in Australia, Canada and the United States as well. See... Howling At The Moon Publishing Ltd - ADVISORY  in the General wire.