Scoop Today - More News Than You Need, Faster!
Lots more news from the news leader. Please pass this email on to anyone who would find being informed, really informed, useful.
Scoop Images: Our Troops In Timor
Gandalf’s “Wizard” Looks
- "Peter Jackson suggested a droopier moustache. I suddenly looked like a double for the Beatles' Maharishi", actor Ian McKellen on his transformation into the mage Gandalf - a Lord Of The Rings snapshot. See... The Grey Beard of Gandalf  in the General wire.
- Kiwi golfer Michael Campbell made it second-time lucky beating 1998 winner Thomas Bjorn in the NZ$2.1 million (A$1.6 million) Heinekin Classic, as thunder and lightening crackled ominously overhead. Now he looks set to get an invitation to the prestigious US Masters Golf Tournament. See... Campbell Beats the Aussies  in the Headlines wire.
Logging Ok, Says Expert
- The government's decision to axe beech logging on the West Coast has been criticised yet again, with a foreign forestry expert saying the move was shortsighted. Scoop's West Coast correspondent John Howard reports. See... Timberlands, Emails & Beech Trees  in the Headlines wire.
Life’s A Beech, And Then You Resign
- Kit Richards, the Timberland's executive caught sending emails criticising the government, has agreed to resign. Meanwhile, ACT have found the e-mail from the head of the Native Forest Action Network which reveals the Labour Party funding the group's “guerrilla warfare”; campaign ... However the Native Forest Action says this email was created to flush out a leak in their service and that ACT are "fools". See... Labour Funding Anti-Logging 'Guerrilla' Warfare  in the Parliament wire and see... Act Foolishly Reveals Link With Timberlands -NFA  in the Politics wire. Also see the original letter from the Royal Forest And Bird Society alerting the government to the "guerilla warfare" of a Timberland's executive, along with the email which started the controversy. See... Timberlands Guerilla Warfare - Original Email  in the Politics wire.
Prada 3 AmericaOne 1
- A foul at the finish line, meant Italian Team Prada stole a second victory off AmericaOne, in the fourth race of the Louie Vuitton finals on Sunday. See... AmericaOne Robbed of Victory  in the Headlines wire.
Opinion: WTO Good, Not Bad
- International cooperation and the rule of law are fundamental to ensuring global peace and prosperity. It concerns me deeply when commentators begin to portray these as a some kind of evil - opinion by Jim Sutton. See... The Trade Negotiations Minister On the WTO  in the Parliament wire, also see... Clinton Remarks to World Economic Forum  in the Business wire.
Opinion: On The Meaning Of Freedom
- Ironically enough, the spur to think again about the nature of `freedom' was provided by a phrase in a Young Nationals column - Jordan Carter in his From The Left Column. See... Opinion: On The Meaning Of Freedom  in the Headlines wire.
Opinion: Timberland’s Email 4
– The Timberlands Executive who resigned last week is defended by Chris Perley, a forest management consultant, in a heartfelt email. See... Email 4 : Kit's Persecution, The Backstory  in the Politics wire.
- Prime Minister Helen Clark and Minister of Broadcasting and Minister in Charge of Television New Zealand Marian Hobbs, said today that the Government had decided not to approve the joint venture proposal for Television New Zealand to set up a digital television service. See... Government to develop new charter for TVNZ  in the Parliament wire.
Dental Study Fees Halved
- The Government today announced that there would be major increases in subsidies for fees for dental education at Otago University this year. See... Govt cuts cost of dental study  in the Parliament wire. The Alliance says this is one of the first steps to removing barriers to tertiary education. See... Alliance pleased fees are finally coming down  in the Parliament wire.
- New Zealand has signed an international deal on the trade of genetically engineered organisms linking environmental and trade issues. The Green co-leader, the Foreign Minister and the Environment Minister have all welcomed the agreement. See... Biosafety Protocol A Good Balance - Minister  and... Environment Minister Pleased With Montreal Outcome  and See... Biosafety Protocol Protects Right To Say No To GE – Green Leader  all in the Parliament wire.
Banks Under Fire
- Banks are charging too much in fees and misleading the Banking Ombudsman say a group to meet with the Minister of Consumer Affairs, Phillida Bunkle, on Tuesday. See... Government Meetings Finally Put Banks Under Fire  in the Politics wire.
GST Sales On Increase
- Statistics New Zealand's latest quarterly analysis of GST sales shows the trend has been increasing steadily since May 1998. See... Increasing Trend in GST Sales  in the Business wire.
World: Clinton’s WTO Remarks
- US President Bill Clinton is currently at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland where he is urging forward movement on WTO round, and debt relief for poorest nations. Meanwhile, anti-trade activists in Switzerland are reported to have destroyed a McDonalds' restaurant nearby the conference in protest at the conference. For a transcript of Clinton's comments, see... Clinton Remarks to World Economic Forum  in the Business wire.
Hawkesby's 5 million Arbitration Cheque?
- The Minister of Broadcasting, Marian Hobbs, has told TVNZ she supports their decision to appeal an arbitration finding in its dispute with former newsreader, John Hawkesby. See... Minister Briefed On Hawkesby Arbitration  in the Parliament wire. TVNZ have defended their termination of John Hawkesby’s news presenter company contract a year ago. See... TVNZ Defends Hawkesby Contract  in the Politics wire. Also see... TVNZ Emphatic It Will Fight Hawkesby  in the General wire. In Parliament, the Prime Minister is being called on to demand the details of the payout. See... PM Should Order Payout Disclosure - Nats  and.. Taxpayers Should Know Hawkesby Payout  both in the Parliament wire.
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0001/S00147.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0001/S00047.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE0001/S00077.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0001/S00134.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0001/S00142.htm
The Bee Decision
- World Trade Organization (WTO) rules have helped New Zealand beekeepers win access to the British bee market, Trade Negotiations Minister Jim Sutton said today. See... Bee Decision Shows Merit Of WTO, Trade Minister  in the Parliament wire.
Alexandra Floods Inquiry Needed - ACT
- ACT’s conservation spokesperson Gerry Eckhoff will take fellow ACT MPs on a trip down Lake Roxburgh on Wednesday evening, as part of a fact finding mission into the Alexandra floods. See... ACT Politicians To View Dam Problems  in the wire.
- Green Party Health Spokesperson Sue Kedgley said today that a commercial herd of 10,000 genetically modified sheep in the Waikato made a mockery of “field trial”; approvals granted by the environmental risk management authority. See... 10,000 Human-Gene Sheep Not a Trial - Greens  in the wire.
Women Can Rape
- Parts of the Crimes Act are still based on a Nineteenth Century assumption that woman are incapable of committing a range of sexual offences, Justice Minister, Phil Goff, said today. See... Gender Crime Laws In For A Revamp - Minister  in the Parliament wire.
Kiwi An Aussie Tour-De-Force
- Former Wellington College pupil Darryl Courtney-O'Connor's company Austzeal Pty Ltd has acquired 100 percent of the Touraust Corporation, Australia's sixth largest hotel operator. See... Touraust : New Zealander Emerges As Aussie Force  in the Business wire.
- Head of WINZ, Christine Rankin has been criticised in a report which examined the procedures used to settle a dispute between WINZ and a former staff member. See... SSC review into WINZ settlement released - Minister  . See also... WINZ Report Does Nothing To Lift Public Confidence - ACT  , both in the Parliament wire.
Cervical Inquiry Begins
- The Inquiry into the Gisbourne Pathologist who misdiagnosed hundreds of cervical smears began last week, with controversy over where it would be held. See... Cervical Screening Inquiry Venue  in the General wire.
Taskforce Scrap Shortsighted
- Scrapping the independent Superannuation Taskforce in a month’s time is shortsighted, Opposition Superannuation spokesperson Simon Upton said today. See... Government shortsighted over future of super  and... Disestablishment of the Super 2000 Taskforce  both in the Parliament wire.
Sex, Drugs and Now - Retirement Studies
- The Retirement Commissioner, Colin Blair, will take responsibility for a secondary schools competition on retirement issues following today's announcement officially disestablishing the Super 2000 Taskforce. See... Retirement Commissioner Gains Taskforce Schools  in the General wire.
Big Sister Is Watching
United New Zealand Party leader, Hon Peter Dunne, describes the Prime Minister’s reaction to private e-mail comments by a Timberlands executive against the government as a “chilling and eerie over-reaction.” The "Thud" Of Jackboots Is Growing Louder - Dunne  . Also see... PM Wants Answers on New Timberlands Allegations  . The Green Party is urging the Government to call for the sacking the executive. See... Greens say Timberlands' head must roll  both in the Paliament wire.
- The energy that foresters are putting into subverting government policy could be harnessed to establish new native forests intended for harvest, Green Co-Leader Jeanette Fitzsimons said today. See... Native Plantations For Harvest say the Greens  in the Parliament wire.
Trade Deficit “A Ticking Time Bomb”
- The Green Party has described today's $3.6B trade deficit as a ticking bomb and is calling on the Government to take urgent action to address the crisis. See... Trade Deficit Blowout a Ticking Bomb - Greens  . Also see... Cosgrove Urges Restraint In Government Spending  both in the Parliament wire.
- There were five committee meetings, all held in Parliament House. See... Select Committee Business  in the Parliament wire.
- Underway at the new Lower North Youth Justice Residential Centre in Mohaka Place, Palmerston North, is a ten-week Theatre Therapy Programme. See... Mokopuna-Our Daughters-Our Sons-Our Future  in the General wire.