TIMOR TODAY 15 SEPTEMBER 2000
TIMOR TODAY 15 SEPTEMBER 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Thousands leave Atambua 15/09/00 (Kompas) KUPANG - Thousands of inhabitants along with medical personnel have been leaving Atambua in the past week and going to Kupang or other places in Nusatenggara Timur. Since the attack on the UNHCR office and the murder of three UNHCR officials, local people say that conditions in the area are very unsettling.
2) Jakarta offers unoccupied island to Militias 15/09/00 (Indonesian Observer) DENPASAR - The Jakarta government yesterday offered an unoccupied island to militias and other pro-Indonesia East Timorese currently stuck among thousands of refugees in West Timor, a militia leader said.
3) East Timor's Xanana Calls For Sanctions Against Indonesia 15/09/00 (AP) DILI - East Timor's independence leader Thursday demanded donor countries withhold crucial economic aid from Indonesia until it disbands pro-Jakarta militia gangs in West Timor.
4) US warships off Dili as Clinton calls for curb on militias 15/09/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) DILI - The United States has turned up diplomatic and military pressure on Jakarta to end militia violence in West Timor and allow up to 120,000 East Timorese refugees to return home.
5) US warns of violence in Timor 15/09/00 (AFP) UNITED NATIONS - The United States warned today of an explosion of violence in East and West Timor unless the Indonesian army acts quickly against militias.
6) Pro-Jakarta Militias wait out UN in East Timor 15/09/00 (Far Eastern Economic Review) Lt.-Col. Brynjar Nymo, the Norwegian spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping force in Dili, says that as many as 150 militiamen in eight to 10 groups, each of five to 30 men, have managed to cross the 170-kilometre border from West Timor over the past few months.
7) Suharto camp accused of funding Militia 15/09/00 (The Australian) JAKARTA - Former Indonesian defence minister Juwono Sudarsono has warned that militias in West Timor are being funded by associates of the ousted president Suharto and conflict could drag on indefinitely unless East Timorese leaders engaged in genuine reconciliation, including pardons for militia figures.
8) Justice for East Timor 15/09/00 (The Nation Magazine) NEW YORK - When I visited East Timor in August, local activists asked me not to meet directly with victims of last year's terror. They are suffering from interview fatigue.
9) World body pressed to scrap probe mission 15/09/00 (South China Morning Post) JAKARTA - Indonesia pulled out all the stops yesterday to convince the UN that a planned special mission to troubled West Timor was a bad idea, as aid workers said they were too afraid to return to the refugee camps where several colleagues were killed last week.
10) UNTAET Daily Briefing 14 Sep 2000 15/09/00 (UNTAET) The bodies of the three UNHCR staff who were murdered in Atambua last week were flown from Dili to Darwin, Australia.
11) UNTAET Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 08 - 14 Sep 2000 15/09/00 (UNTAET) There were a few reports of militia sightings in Bobonaro and Manufahi Districts. On 10 September four militia members in Manufahi and two in Ermera surrendered to PKF.
12) Weekly Epidemiological Bulletin Week 35 15/08/00 (WHO) DILI - Infectious Disease Surveillance and Epidemic Preparedness (IDSEP) Unit World Health Organization, Dili, East Timor, in collaboration with the Division of Health Services of the Department of Social Affairs.
13) CNRT Congresso/ Presidency statement on West Timor 15/09/00 (CNRT) Thus, the CNRT/ Congresso Nacional demands that Indonesia dismantles the terrorist training camps in West Timor
---------------------------------------- Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
--- Sponsor's Message --------------------------------------
GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW! http://click.topica.com/aaaaqZausWsNauubHDc/NextCardAd1