NOT SHARP: Y2k Darwin Awards
… Sharp Stories are presented in association with Steinlager Premium Light….
The long-awaited Year 2000 Darwin Awards have finally been released.
For those not familiar with the Darwin Award, it's an annual honour given to the person who provided the universal human gene pool the biggest service by getting killed in the most extraordinarily stupid way. As always, competition this year has been keen. So many candidates appear to have trained their whole lives for this event!
DARWIN AWARD CANDIDATES
1. In September in Detroit, a 41-year-old man got stuck and drowned in two feet of water after squeezing head first through an 18-inch-wide sewer grate to retrieve his car keys.
2. In October, a 49-year-old San Francisco stockbroker, who was always "totally focused when he ran," according to his wife, accidentally jogged off a 100-foot-high cliff on his daily run.
3. Buxton, NC: A man died on a beach when an 8-foot-deep hole he had dug into the sand caved in as he sat inside it. Beachgoers said Daniel Jones, 21, dug the hole for fun, or protection from the wind, and had been sitting in a beach chair at the bottom Thursday afternoon when it collapsed, burying him beneath 5 feet of sand. People on the beach, on the outer banks, used their hands and shovels, trying to claw their way to Jones, a resident of Woodbridge, VA, but could not reach him. It took rescue workers using heavy equipment almost an hour to free him while about 200 people looked on. Jones was pronounced dead at a hospital.
4. In February, Santiago Alvarado, 24, was killed in Lompoc, CA, as he fell face-first through the ceiling of bicycle shop he was burglarising. Death was caused when the long flashlight he had placed in his mouth (to keep his hands free) rammed into the base of his skull as he hit the floor.
5. According to police in Dahlonega, GA, ROTC cadet Nick Berrena, 20, was stabbed to death in January by fellow cadet Jeffrey Hoffman, 23, who was trying to prove that a knife could not penetrate the flackvest Berrena was wearing.
6. Sylvester Briddell, Jr. , 26, was killed in February in Selbyville, Del, as he won a bet with friends who said he would not put a revolver loaded with four bullets into his mouth and pull the trigger.
7. In February, according to police in Windsor, Ontario, Daniel Kolta, 27, and Randy Taylor, 33, died in a head-on collision, thus earning a tie in the game of chicken they were playing with their snowmobiles.
DARWIN AWARD HONORABLE MENTIONS
1. In Guthrie, Okla, in October, Jason Heck tried to kill a millipede with a shot from his 22-caliber rifle, but the bullet ricocheted off a rock near the hole and hit pal Antonio Martinez in the head, fracturing his skull.
2. In Elyria, Ohio, in October, Martyn Eskins, attempting to clean out cobwebs in his basement, declined to use a broom in favor of a propane torch and caused a fire that burned the first and second floors of his house.
3. Paul Stiller, 47, was hospitalized in Andover Township, NJ, in September, and his wife Bonnie was also injured, by a quarter-stick of dynamite that blew up in their car. While driving around at 2 AM, the bored couple lit the dynamite and tried to toss it out the window to see what would happen, but they apparently failed to notice that the window was closed.
4. TACOMA, WA - Kerry Bingham, had been drinking with
several friends when one off at the ankle. He miraculously
survived his fall into the icy river water and was rescued
by two nearby fishermen. "All I can say," said Bingham, "is
that God was watching out for me on that night.
just no other explanation for it."
.....AND THE WINNER:
1. PADERBORN, GERMANY - Overzealous zoo keeper Friedrich Riesfeldt fed his constipated elephant 'Stefan' 22 doses of animal laxative and more than a bushel of berries, figs and prunes before the plugged-up elephant finally let fly-and suffocated the keeper under 200 pounds of poop! Investigators say ill-fated Friedrich, 46, was attempting to give the ailing elephant an olive oil enema when the relieved beast unloaded on him like a dump truck full of mud. "The sheer force of the elephant's unexpected defecation knocked Mr. Riesfeldt to the ground, where he struck his head on a rock and lay unconscious as the elephant continued to evacuate his bowels on top of him," said flabbergasted Paderborn police detective Erik Dern. "With no one there to help him, he lay under all that dung for at least an hour before a watchman came along, and during that time he suffocated. "It seems to be just one of those freak accidents that happen."
… Author Unknown - found circulating on the internet…
Want To Stay Sharp?
Then Subscribe To Steinlager Premium Light Top Scoops (With Sharp Stories)
Scoop Media in association with Steinlager Premium Light present a joint promotion of Top Scoops (With Sharp Stories) - New Zealand's first free and customisable real-time news by email service. If you are not already a member then you too can join the ultra-sharp community of news users who have discovered the Scoop news-by-email service. Included in each daily Top Scoops headlines bulletin will be a Sharp Story designed to help keep you on your toes and razor sharp. Enjoy tomorrow’s news today on Scoop!
Existing My Scoop subscribers are invited to send this message off to a friend who may be interested in the service.
To sign up to Steinlager Premium Light Top Scoops (With Sharp Stories) CLICK HERE…
We Want Your Sharp Stories!
Ever done anything embarrassing you would prefer to forget? Made a particularly sharp move lately? Seen something sharp on the web? We want to hear about it and you can win prizes!
Email your sharp stories and sharp links to:
CHANGE MY SCOOP OPTIONS OR UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS LIST -