By Selwyn Manning
Two separate suicide bombings have struck inside Israel, injuring about 12 and killing two people.
The bombings are the first since a Palestinian-led ceasefire was called on June 29. Hamas and Islamic Jihad deny being behind the bombings.
The first suicide bomber detonated him/her-self outside a supermarket in Rosh Haayin, killing the bomber and one Israeli. A short time later another suicide bomber blew himself up at a bus stop near Ariel.
Eyewitnesses say Israeli soldiers shot the suspected Ariel bomber as he approached a bus stop. Once shot, he detonated the explosives strapped to his body, killing himself, and injuring several others – one of whom died later.
Last week Israel assassinated a leading Hizbullah figure in the heart of the group’s stronghold in the southern part of the Lebanese capital Beirut, thus inviting violent reaction from the Islamic resistance group.
The Israeli government escalated its accusations of Lebanese and Syrian backing to Hizbullah, in a clear investment in latest US warnings to Syria and Iran over Iraq.
The attacks follow Israel’s Prime Minister Ariel Sharon stating that the “Roadmap to Peace” is on hold. He told his Cabinet on Sunday that the US-backed plan for Palestinian statehood will not move ahead until the Palestinians carry out their pledge to dismantle the anti 36-year Israeli occupation groups.
“No move forward on implementing the issue of a provisional Palestinian state before the Palestinians have fully and completely carried out their binding commitments," Sharon told his cabinet.
Palestinian National Authority Prime
Minister Abbas warned Sunday that Israel should take the
responsibility if the ceasefire collapses, because it has
gone from killing to killing.