Top Scoops

Book Reviews | Gordon Campbell | Scoop News | Wellington Scoop | Community Scoop | Search

 

Timor Update: Failed Coup Blamed For Timor Unrest

Timor Update: Failed Coup To Blame For Timor Leste Violence

Compiled by Selwyn Manning - Scoop co-editor

NZ Commits 200 Troops To Timor - U.S-based security monitors are reporting that a failed coup is to blame for the clashes between Timor Leste security forces and former soldiers, Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri said Friday, May 26. Stratfor, a leading security consulting intelligence agency, reports Australian special forces have secured Dili airport, but lack approval from Alkatiri or President Xanana Gusmao to activate the remaining troops on standby. The intel-report states that neither Australian Prime Minister John Howard nor other officials had been able to contact Timor Leste's leaders prior to troops engaging in Dili.

The intel-report states that neither Australian Prime Minister John Howard nor other officials have been able to contact Timor Leste's leaders.

On Friday, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark announced that her government would dispatch 200 troops to Dili to assist a multi-national security force. The first of the Kiwi troops will be in Timor Leste by tonight (Saturday evening NZ time).

Earlier Helen Clark announced a Royal New Zealand Air Force Boeing 757 and a Hercules C130, would be deployed via Darwin, Australia. The military contingent would later join Australian troops in Dili.

She said New Zealand and Australian officials are continuing to talk with Timor Leste representatives about the details of engagement in Timor "so that appropriate rules of engagement can be determined".

Helen Clark said that the situation on the ground in Timor Leste had deteriorated seriously with chaos and murders on the streets of the capital, Dili.

“The United Nations Security Council has made its concern clear and expressed its full understanding of the request made by the Timor Leste government for assistance to Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, and Portugal," Helen Clark said in a statement.

“I have spoken late Thursday evening with the Secretary-General of the United Nations who has expressed his thanks to each of the four countries approached by Timor Leste for their willingness to assist.

“Given the distance of New Zealand from Timor, it is appropriate to position New Zealand airlift capacity in Darwin now, both to assist with evacuation if required, and with troop transport as required," Helen Clark said.

Click here to email Scoop your views and info.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Top Scoops Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Nunes Memo

Every now and then the US system erupts and throws up a piece of political magma that can’t be described or explained in any rational fashion... More>>

ALSO:

Ross Webb: Our Union-Powered Past

Labour’s soon-to-implemented workplace relations policy aims to address the imbalances in our economy, but has sparked fears among some that it marks a return to ‘the bad old days’ of the 1970s. But what exactly was happening in the 1970s? And what has caused the ‘imbalances’ that Labour is now trying to fix? More>>

ALSO:

Joseph Cederwall: Progress On Open Government, Finally

The Open Government Partnership features an Independent Reporting Mechanism (IRM) with an independent reviewer assessing each Government’s performance in order to keep them honest. The IRM for New Zealand has just released the latest draft report on New Zealand. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Selling Out Of The Kurds

Kurdish lives were expended to serve US – not Kurdish – military and diplomatic goals, in the belief that the US and European powers the Kurds had served so steadfastly in the battle against IS terrorism would be rewarded, afterwards. Instead, there is every indication the Kurds are being sold out once again. More>>

ALSO: