Eric Shackle: It's A Startling Word Indeed!
It's a startling word indeed!
By Eric Shackle, in Sydney, Australia
For many years our favourite word has
been stifle, because it's an anagram of itself, which you
must admit is pretty clever. Now we've found another word
that is really startling. Just as a cockroach, when
threatened by a human predator, sheds one of its parts to
save its life, so does startling.
• Take away the l and it becomes starting
• or take away the second t, and it becomes starling
• remove one t from starting, or the l from starling, and you get staring
• remove the a and it turns into string
• delete the r, and you get a sting
• remove the other t, and you start to sing
• deleting the g would be a sin
• ditching the s would see you in
• knock out the n, and I have the last word.
This story will be featured in the August
edition of The World's First Multi-National e-Book: