Top Scoops

Book Reviews | Gordon Campbell | Scoop News | Wellington Scoop | Community Scoop | Search

 

Release: AZ Supervisor On State Ignored Polygabuse

Earlier: Scoop: The AZ Polygamy Town Airport Built With Fed $$$Mns

Buster Johnson, Mohave County, AZ Supervisor On State Ignored Polygabuse

MOHAVE COUNTY BOARD of SUPERVISORS
BUSTER D. JOHNSON
SUPERVISOR DISTRICT 3
April 30, 2008

PRESS RELEASE

The State of Texas has responded to the call for help from inside the polygamist compound in El Dorado. Whether the call was legitimate or not the abuses they have found are real. The media is acting as if this is some new phenomenon. For over a decade I have attempted to get local, state and federal authorities to take these abuses seriously. There has been a small dedicated group I have worked with these years who have continued to fight for the rights of the abused women and children. Ignoring physical, personal and financial attacks, they have continued to fight.

At every level of government we have been ignored and have had our credibility challenged. The latest information out of Texas is that 31 out of 53 under aged girls are pregnant or have had children. That is 58%. They are not telling us if the other 42% have been sexually abused but with numbers like these I believe some have. Now with these kinds of numbers what do you think the numbers are in Colorado City where these people moved from?

In the past I have called for the Federal Government to step in and put an end to these abuses. Once again I am asking them to do the job that needs to be done in our County. We have had under aged girls being transported across state lines and our international borders for sexual acts. In Mohave County these abusers have not been prosecuted because our prosecutor's state that the rape took place in another jurisdiction. The abusers state that they had sex with the minor in Utah or Nevada, not Arizona and they walk out of the court system to continue their rape of children. Why have prosecutor's ignored our pleas and the pleas of the victims and not sought federal indictments?

I would not be surprised nor would I blame these victims if they sued Mohave County and the State of Arizona for not protecting them. What could be the defense for ignoring the cries of these children?

When the cult opened up their Yearning for Zion compound in Texas, I went with Flora Jessop to meet with law enforcement, local officials and concerned citizens in El Dorado. The impression I got was that they were concerned and would "live and let live". Hard to blame them when only two people out of our great state are telling them of the atrocities taking place in the name of "god".

There is a forum being held in St. George, Utah May 8-9. The attorneys general from Arizona and Utah are participating. My understanding is that the main focus is going to be to try and push for the decriminalization of polygamy. The polygamists are also sitting on the panel. It is past time for Arizona to do the right thing. Sitting on panels with those who are violating the law is a slap in the face to the children who have been abused and will continued to be abuse because of inaction and apathy by elected officials.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Top Scoops Headlines

 

Scoop HiveMind Project: Universal Basic Income - Are We Up For It?

This is an opportunity for you as one of the 4 million potential funders and recipients of a Universal Basic Income to collectively consider the issue:
1. Is UBI is a desirable policy for New Zealand; and
2. How should a UBI system work in practice. More>>

ALSO:

Lyndon Hood: National Announces Plan To Hit Youth With Big Mallets

The National party has announced its youth justice policy, which includes a controversial plan for recidivist serious youth offenders to be hit over the head with a comically large rubber mallet. More>>

ALSO:

Lyndon Hood: This ->

It's been brought to my attention that Labour's new campaign slogan is "Let's do this". A collective call to action. A mission. I myself was halfway out of the couch before I realised I wasn't sure what it was I was supposed to do. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Hivemind Report: What New Zealanders Think About Affordable Housing

Ordinary citizens have had very few venues where they can debate and discuss as to what they believe has led to the crisis in affordable housing and how we might begin to address this. The HiveMind on affordable housing was about redressing the balance. More>>

ALSO:

New Hivemind Exploration: Opening The Election - Freshwater Quality

This is an opportunity for you as one of the 4 million guardians of our common water resources to help us find mutually agreeable solutions to the critical task of collectively managing these resources for health and sustainability. More>>

ALSO: