Book Reviews | Gordon Campbell | News Flashes | Scoop Features | Scoop Video | Strange & Bizarre | Search

 


Bush Borrows Communist Torture Tactics

Bush Borrows Communist Torture Tactics


By Sherwood Ross

Commander-in-chief George W. Bush’s Pentagon has borrowed Red Chinese torture techniques employed against American prisoners during the Korean War to use on suspects captured in the Middle East.

Bush may claim “we do not torture” yet the New York Times (July 2) headline reports otherwise: “China Inspired/Interrogations/At Guantanamo.”

There is now, the Times reports, “vivid evidence of the way Communist interrogation methods that the United States long described as torture became the basis for interrogations both by the military at Guantanamo and by the Central Intelligence Agency.” (Translation: when they did it, we called it “torture.”)

That evidence is in the form of a chart carried by Pentagon trainers to Guantanamo prison, Cuba, in Dec., 2002, outlining the use of “sleep deprivation,” “prolonged constraint” and “exposure,” etc.
Seems this chart was copied word for word from a 1957 Air Force study of Red Chinese techniquesused during the Korean War to coerce confessions from captured GIs! And some of its methods, the Times said, have been used on men arrested in the Middle East. One tactic was to deny prisoners their sleep.

As McClatchy News Service’s Warren Strobel reported last month, retired Lt. Col. Diane Beaver, a military lawyer, appeared to confirm U.S. officials at Afghanistan’s Bagram prison used “sleep deprivation on detainees” even before then Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld approved the technique.

(“Sleep deprivation,” by the way, was used by the Soviet KGB under dictator Joseph Stalin. Only in Moscow’s Lubyanka prison it was known bluntly as “the conveyor belt” as exhausted captives got mauled by one handler after another.)

To torment GIs captured in Korea, the Chinese Reds used “complete solitary confinement,” “complete isolation,” “barren environment,” “restricted movement,” “monotonous food,” and so on---tactics the Bush military has widely adopted against Arab and Muslim captives.

Confined to solitary (“complete isolation” as the Chinese called it) by itself is a maddening experience, even for hardened criminals. It’s particularly devastating for those that are innocent, as so many captives are, when no charges are brought against them, when they have been arrested and dumped half way around the world away from family and friends, when they are not allowed to receive visits or mail, when they are denied due process of law and lawyers, and when they are entombed alive in a tiny cubicle (“restricted movement”) with a slab bed, toilet, and sink, and only a vertical sliver of a window about six inches wide and 18 inches high to admit light.

According to Amnesty International(AI), prisoner Lakhdar Boumediene, was not captured on any battlefield but seized in Bosnia, flown to Guantanamo, and never charged with a crime. Although ordered released by the Bosnian Supreme Court in 2002, Bush has now kept him in Gitmo for seven years. His experience is commonplace. Boumediene appears to be one of the many the U.S. McClatchy News Service reports “were arrested on the basis of flimsy or fabricated evidence.” The Bush motto might well be, “Torture first, trial later.”

The photographs accompanying this column show Amnesty International's Zeke Johnson (Zjohnson@AIUSA.org ) at a replica Guantanamo cell the human rights group exhibited recently at Miami’s Bayfront Park as part of its anti-torture campaign Johnson says prisoners are confined in such cells 22 hours a day.

Despite Bush’s denials, the International Red Cross has concluded U.S. methods are “tantamount to torture.” And it gets worse: by some accounts, hundreds of Muslim prisoners have perished in Bush jails.

Holding tens of thousands of captives, many, if not most, illegally, and some concealed in secret dungeons hidden from Red Cross scrutiny, George Bush has shamed America with the title of “the world’s jailer.” And just when enlightened humanity thought communist totalitarianism was dying out, President Bush revives its tortures. If Bush is what America stands for, we have to ask: “Has America gone nuts?”

*************

The author formerly reported for the Chicago Daily News and wire services. Reach him at sherwoodr1@yahoo.com.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Top Scoops Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Crisis In Greece

Greece, as the cradle of democracy, is getting no brownie points for actually practicing it. The decision by the Greek government to go back to the people for a mandate for the bailout terms being proposed by the Eurozone seems entirely appropriate. More>>

ALSO:

Stories Of Scoop: Alastair Thompson, Scoop Media & The Cost Of Free Journalism

How does a news organization that cares about authentic journalism and has a mission to effect “positive change” continue to operate in these times of derivative storytelling when advertising dollars are no longer determined by the quality of editorial content? More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Pope’s Encyclical On Climate Change

The spread of market mechanisms into every facet of life – as health, education and the environment get treated as mere commodities – has seen economic efficiency worshipped in its own right as a totem, and as a substitute for morality. The Laudato Si encyclical issued today by Pope Francis on climate change and the environment goes some away to restoring a sane balance. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Turns Sixteen: How Scoop's “Ethical Paywall” Model Has Changed Everything

As of this month, a broad range of professional organisations, including constitutional institutions, government agencies & departments, NGOs, Unions, CRIs, law firms, PR agencies, accountancy firms, media organisations, libraries and businesses - all of which make regular use of Scoop in their daily work and for professional research - have joined Scoop’s new “Ethical Paywall” copyright licensing scheme. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On The Sepp Blatter Resignation

Any initial elation at Sepp Blatter’s resignation as the overlord of FIFA will be tempered by his declared intention to stay on until at least December and possibly March 2016, to enable his successor to be elected. Has FIFA got no existing succession plan that could kick in before this? More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The FIFA Scandal, And Similar Dirty Deal

With the US now investigating FIFA’s racketeering and money-laundering activities and the Swiss also looking at the bribes that went into the choice of Russia and Qatar as upcoming FIFA venues, the capos at FIFA are taking the fall for the boss of all bosses, Sepp Blatter - who has somehow been blissfully unaware of the dirty payoffs and extortion rackets conducted on his watch ... More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Top Scoops
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news