Wellington bus network changes to be reviewed
Wellington's new bus network will be independently reviewed after ongoing complaints of buses being late, too full to board or not showing up at all.
Caption goes here
The regional council today voted today to have the system reviewed and the results reported back by December.
Since the system was changed in July the council has been bombarded with complaints.
Councillors have also asked officers to change a route so that it began and ended in Kilbirnie, as it previously did, and for feedback on whether some other routes can be changed.
At the beginning of the meeting several Wellington residents addressed the council to let it know they were still unhappy with the new bus routes.
A Wellington principal said the recent re-jig of the routes was making his students late for class and putting them in danger.
St Patrick's College, Kilbirnie's rector Neal Swindells told this morning's meeting about 100-150 boys were using the new service.
"Currently our two 753 buses from the station in the afternoon are significantly overloaded and are unsafe. On Monday this week, they were both loaded to the gunnels and there were 30-odd students who couldn't get on. So what they do is they cross the road to catch the new 24 bus, which by the time it leaves St Pat's now is also overfull."