The sulpur smell at a Carterton school where 10 pupils fell ill on Friday was from compost at a neighbouring property, police say.
Photo: RNZ / Catherine Hutton
The vapour at the South End School prompted a full scale response from emergency services on Friday.
Students at the Wairarapa school described the smell as reminisent of "a rotting dead pig" or "like Rotorua".
The school was put in lockdown on Friday afternoon.
All 10 students who fell ill and were taken to hospital were discharged.
Wairarapa area commander Inspector Scott Miller said today the sulphuric smell came from hthe compost on a neighbouring property.
Miller said a truck load of compost was delivered to the