Top Scoops

Book Reviews | Gordon Campbell | Scoop News | Wellington Scoop | Community Scoop | Search


Pike River: Weeks of work before team gets beyond 170 metres

Pike River: Weeks of work before team gets beyond 170-metre mark

It's likely to be September before Pike River Recovery Agency personnel move beyond the 170-metre mark in the mine's drift.

two people in
firwefighter-looking high viz clothing and hard hats in a
dimly lit tunnel space with various constructed barriers

Pike River Mine re-entry. Photo: Pike River Recovery Agency / Supplied

No items of interest have been found in the latest forensic search of the tunnel between 30 and 170 metres, however, both the police and the Pike River Recovery Agency say it has been useful.

The agency's chief executive, Dave Gawn told Morning Report it was important to ensure that the team carried out a forensic search from the portal to the roof fall.

He was confident nothing had been missed, although they still had to empty the weirs, including silt on bottom of weirs. From what they could see it was unlikely they would find anything of interest in the weirs.

people in high viz
clothing and hard hats placing a plastic barrier fence
outside the mine entrance

The agency mining team puts a barrier 5m in front of the mine portal. Photo: Pike River Recovery Agency / Supplied

Asked about the next stage of the search Mr Gawn said: "Right now we're going through and planning the ventilation and looking at doing some trials possibly.

"As we go through the regulatory process to get approval of the final detailed execution plan we'll be doing work on top of the hill to put in place the venturi operations that's part of the ventilation plan as well as the removal of the water infrastructure between the 30 metre mark to 170 metres mark."

He said it was 2300 metres to the roof fall. "Of that, there's about 400 metres that's not had any sort of eyes laid on, in terms of cameras or anything else.

"But the reality is that there's been no human presence beyond about 300 metres from the original reccy that was designed to identify the best place for the 170-metre mark."

He said he was sure searchers would reach Pit Bottom in Stone. "The main area of forensic interest around Pit Bottom and Stone and all the electronic equipment that's in there we're confident we'll get that... Once we get in there and see the conditions beyond that we'll be able to make a better assessment for the last 400 metres."

It would take six to eight weeks to remove all the water infrastructure, including dams, walkways, gabion baskets, the grizzlies and the concrete blocks. So he estimated it would be about September before teams could move beyond the 170-metre mark.

The underground team is looking for forensic evidence concerning the initial explosion and police have described the operation so far as a useful exercise in basic scene examination processes.

© Scoop Media

Top Scoops Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On Trump’s Open White Nationalism

By telling those four elected, American born and/or raised women of colour to “go home”, US President Donald Trump’s racist agenda has come out of the shadows. More>>


Mediaversaries: 20 Years Of The Scoop Information Ecosystem

Scoop celebrates its 20th anniversary this month. To celebrate, we are offering 20% off all ScoopPro subscriptions, including the newly launched ScoopPro Citizen service for Citizen readers. More>>


Lyndon Hood: Better Analogies For National Pilfering Budget Data

After the Treasury Secretary's tragically doomed effort provide a metaphorical image for the budget data breach, and the rash of media attempts that followed, we never got an analogy that really covers all the bases. Until now. More>>


Resignation Of Metiria Turei: Were Journalists 'Just Doing Their Job'?

In our research we examined the role of journalism in animating the Turei controversy and the different perceptions of professional journalists and online commentators sympathetic to Turei’s left politics. ... More>>