Major travel disruption as Wellington trains cancelled by derailment
Wellington rail commuters face major disruption this morning after a freight train was derailed just outside Wellington station last night.
What you need to know
• Most services into Wellington have been cancelled, affecting about 20,000 commuters.
• There are no train services in or out of Wellington on the Hutt, Kapiti, Melling and Wairarapa lines.
• Services are likely to be disrupted into this afternoon.
• Metlink has been able to provide some replacement bus services, but they are "extremely limited".
• Train services on the Johnsonville line will run as normal.
• The derailment happened near Wellington Junction last night, and it took the locomotive engineer 230 metres before he was able to stop the train.
• NZTA has warned commuters to expect delays on the road network.
Photo: RNZ / Jonathan Mitchell
Follow all the latest developments with RNZ's live updates: