Scoop Today - Weekend Edition
Sandra Lee: "Maori heart of a new government" - Keith Rankin On Property - Soapbox On Incis - Gorbachev The Peacenik - Top Scoops - Executions - Petrol - Plunket - Advertising Slogan Wars and much more…
"Maori heart of a new government"
- Mana Motuhake today held its, Hui A Tau (annual conference). Leader Sandra Lee's State of the nation address  is in the Parliament wire. Also in the wire today: Jim Anderton's message to Mana Motuhake  - Direct Funding And Full Accountability: Vote Maori  - and - Lee calls for inquiry into Fisheries Comission 
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9908/S0025 0.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9908/S0024 8.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9908/S0024 6.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9908/S0024 5.htm
- The weekend ratings report - as of 4.30pm - is now in the News Monitor wire. Also in the wire Last Week's Top 20  .
Soapbox: Incis And Eastern Philosophy
- In the aftermath of the failure of the Police's Incis computer project, Matthew Thomas points out that it would actually have been a miracle if the project had succeeded. See... Soapbox: Zen And The Art Of Computer Project Management  in the Headlines wire.
Rankin Column: Crown Ownership
- Last Monday, Simon Upton, in a Herald opinion piece defending the post-reform public service culture, noted: "If there is a criticism that can be made, it is that ministers" have "underemphasised the Crown's ownership interests". In weekly column - unfortunately delayed due to technical difficulties - Keith Rankin discusses the minister's observation. See... Rankin Column: The Crown's Ownership Interest  in the Headlines wire.
Eight Executions In Seven Days
- The scheduled killings of eight people in the USA and Philippines during the next seven days are linked by a deadly connection extending beyond the calculated cruelty of executions and their affront to human dignity, Amnesty International said today. See… Lethal Injection World Leader Sets Deadly Example  in the General wire.
Was Gorby Perhaps Worth $40,000?
- The controversy over the attendance of 60 New Zealand Defence personnel at a "Masters of Business" seminar in Auckland featuring Mikhail Gorbachev and Stormin Norm "Desert Storm" Swartzkopf contains some sweet irony. See... Scoop Links: Gorbachev's Peace Plan A Gem  in the Headlines wire.
Are Kiwi Motorists Getting A Fair Deal?
- Like it or not, higher costs across the board will be the likely outcome of the rise in petrol prices by an average 9c a litre within the last month - John Howard reports - see... Weekend Column: Petrol Price Ripoff?  in the Headlines wire.
- Only half the job has been done with the start-up tomorrow of a 12 hour a day Plunket helpline service, Labour health spokesperson Annette King said today. See... Half-hearted effort by heartless Govt  in the Parliament wire. Annette is also upset about a Levin man a heart operation see... Government suffering heart failure  .
Islanders Cautioned About Maori Nationalists
- Immigration Minister, Hon Tuariki Delamere, has issued a warning to members of the Pacific communities in New Zealand to ignore claims from a Maori group that it can protect illegal migrants from the New Zealand Immigration Service. See.. Delamere Issues Warning To Pacific Community In NZ  in the Parliament wire.
Nats Accused Of Smear Tactics
- Advertisements attacking the Alliance and Labour in Sunday newspapers are paid for by the National Party, Alliance leader Jim Anderton says. In doing so he moots an possible retaliatory campaign wording. See... National too cowardly to stand by its own smears  in the Parliament wire.
Alliance To Take The Plunge
- It seems it is to be a week of election policy announcements. Alliance leader Jim Anderton today announced his party 's "springboard for economic growth will be released tomorrow "  . Meanwhile Labour is continuing to mock National 's planned Five Steps Ahead launch - to be beamed to a TV studio near you - on the 18 th . See… Re-launch No. 7 doomed to failure  in the Parliament wire.
Kiri And NZSO Confirmed For Gisborne
- The Prime Minister announced that Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and the NZSO will perform at a free millennium dawn concert in Gisborne. For more details see… Dame Kiri And NZSO Will Perform In Gisborne - PM  in the Parliament wire.
The Latest Scoop On INCIS
: Scoop made some Friday afternoon discoveries about the ill- fated INCIS project. See... INCIS ONLINE  , you may find it as amusing as we did. Then again... [Readers are advised, don't use your real credit card. It's dangerous out here...]
 - http://18.104.22.168/incis/