Independent East Timor - A Peaceful Start?
Here is a collection of speeches, stories, editorials and press briefings Scoop has published on the historic vote:
- A press briefing from Carina Perelli, chief of the
electoral assistance division at United Nations
headquarters. The conference at the close of voting covers
the death of the UN worker and the procedures in terms of
counting and security of the vote count. See… Transcript Of Press Conf. After Timor Poll
- UN Noon Briefing - The following is a near-verbatim transcript of yesterday's noon briefing by Manoel de Almeida e Silva, Deputy Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General. See… East Timor: New York Press Conference.
- Kofi Annan Eve of Ballot Address - Kofi Annan: Peace, Restraint And Tolerance
- Night Before - Kofi Annan's Message To East Timoriese Before Poll
- East Timorese flock to polls in autonomy ballot.
- Ken Shirley MP reports from Timor - Ken Shirley Reports from East Timor.
- "The Eagle Of Liberty Spreads Its Proud Wings Over The People Of East Timor". UN Special Representative Jamsheed Marker has declared the independence referendum in East Timor an outstanding success. Speaking to a press conference following the poll Mr Marker said: “Whatever the outcome, today the eagle of liberty has spread its proud wings over the people of East Timor, and nothing by Gods grace will chase it away.” Around 90% of registered voters turned out to vote yesterday on what was, in the main, a poll untouched by the violence that has plagued the former Portuguese colony over the past two and a half decades.
- Referendum Threatened By Violence - As Referendum Approaches, Violence Flares In Dili.
- Scoop's Alastair Thompson argues that the trio of Indonesian leaders now face their greatest test. See Only Indonesia Can Save East Timor Now .
- UN Extends Mission - The UN has adopted a resolution to extend the UN mission for three months - UN Security Council On East Timor.
There is much more material on East Timor
and the referendum in the Scoop