Scoop Today Special - Anarchy In East Timor
Another Kosovo on our doorstep? Over the weekend the referendum result in East Timor was announced and the security situation has deteriorated severely. Scoop is covering the crisis closely.
SPECIAL- EAST TIMOR ERUPTS IN VIOLENCE
The Aftermath - Evacuation And Massacre - Security Council Meeting
- An Australian airlift operation has begun to evacuate Australian nationals from the Indonesian territory of East Timor. In Dili hundreds are feared dead as rampaging militias have been active all night. The UN Security Council is due to meet to discuss the rapidly worsening situation in East Timor starting at 9am NZT.
- The East Timor Independence referendum result has been announced in New York by Secretary General Kofi Annan. 78% voted against the proposal for special autonomy and, as expected, overwhelming result in favour of independence. Kofi Annan - 78% In Favour Of Timor Independence  in the Headlines wire. See also East Timor: Kofi Annan Statement To UN  .
Fear And Apprehension From East Timorese
- Statement by: Mr. Joao Carrascalao Head of CNRT in Australia (National Council for Timorese Resistance) President, UDT (Timorese Democratic Union). See... CNRT: Indonesia planned post-ballot slaughter 
Analysis - The UN's Darkest Hour?
- Events over the past week have now brought the true situation in East Timor into the open, and in the process the innocence and naivete of the wider international community has been harshly exposed. Scoop's Alastair Thompson analyses the latest developments. See... UN Provides Bait For East Timor Disaster  in the Headlines wire.
Secret Meetings Arrange Bloodbath
- On Saturday Night the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s Kerry O'Brien talked with an East Timorese activist who says he has details of secret meetings between the Indonesian military and pro-Jakarta militia to plan a new wave of violence. See a transcript of the interview… ... ABC:Secret Kopassus-militia meetings plan violence  .
- GOVERNMENT: Don McKinnon - "The people
of East Timor have made a clear statement about their
future". See... McKinnon - East Timor Ballot result loud and
- ALLIANCE: Jim Anderton - "Mrs Shipley's government must now guarantee the people of East Timor that as APEC host, she will use the advantage that role gives her to put pressure on Indonesia for a peaceful transition to independence." See... East Timor's triumph is APEC's challenge  .
- LABOUR – ALLIANCE: The Labour and Alliance representatives on the East Timor Parliamentary delegation, Phil Goff and Matt Robson, will urge Foreign Affairs Minister Don McKinnon in talks this evening to put intense pressure on Indonesia to protect the East Timorese people. See… Joint Labour-Alliance plea to McKinnon on Timor  .
- GREENS: Six Indonesian soldiers training in New Zealand should be sent home and Indonesian participation planned for three Armed Forces courses in coming months cancelled, the Green Party says. See... Indonesian Soldiers Should Be Sent Home  .
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9909/S00094.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9909/S00096.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9909/S00104.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9909/S00108.htm
Earlier: On The Eve Chaos Threatens
- The UN operation in East Timor has entered siege mode as militia violence escalates and the announcement of the independence referendum result approaches. See... Maliana In Flames As Chaos Envelopes East Timor  in the Headlines wire.
- Joint International Observer Missions -
- Horta: Triumphant day etched in history 
- UN Daily Briefing - Comments On East Timor 
- UN appeals to Indonesia to control militia rampage 
- UNAMET Release On Ballot Irregularities 
- UNAMET Briefing Summary for Friday, 3 September  . All in the General wire.
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE9909/S00023.htm
 - http:///stories/GE9909/S00024.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE9909/S00021.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE9909/S00020.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE9909/S00019.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE9909/S00018.htm