SCOOP TODAY SPECIAL: APEC / EAST TIMOR
NEWSFLASH: Indonesian Cabinet In Emergency Session As Attacks On Timor Safehaven Reported
- Attacks on a city 6 miles south of Dili have been reported by the UN spokesman David Wimhurst as the Indonesian Cabinet prepares for an emergency session on the East Timor Crisis in Jakarta. The Cabinet including General Wiranto and President Habibe will discuss the crisis, and, most probably, Gen. Wiranto's comments yesterday while in Dili that he was in favour of an "accelerated deployment" of foreign peace keepers. A force of 600 Australians are apparently ready to go in Darwin with the US now offering logistics support. 350 NZ soldiers are currently tied up in APEC security detail will be on 14 days notice from the end of APEC on Monday.
SCOOP WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Operation “Restore Order”
- Indonesia has been widely condemned over the past two weeks for its failure to keep order in East Timor. With calm apparently restored inside the Indonesian territory, Scoop's Alastair Thompson today brings you the first glimpses of the inside story... Indonesia's Triumph? - Operation "Restore Order"  in the Headlines wire.
NZ Free Trade Deal With Singapore
- Designed on the blueprint of CER, New Zealand and Singapore have sealed a free trade agreement. The two economies are heralding the deal as “significant for both countries” and a leading example for other APEC countries to follow. There are already indications that the example of the Singapore deal may be widened. Yesterday Mrs Shipley met with the Chilean President in a bi-lateral meeting and agreed to commence a scoping study to evaluate whether a similar agreement to that with Singapore could be reached with Chile. See... NZ Singapore Free Trade Deal A "Bogor Blueprint"  in the Headlines wire. Jim Anderton is not impressed in the Parliament wire.
General Wiranto Indicates Peace Keepers May Be Welcome
- Commander of the Indonesian military and Defence Minister General Wiranto yesterday afternoon indicated Indonesia may be willing to allow an international peace-keeping force into East Timor. Till now the Indonesian leadership has strongly rejected offers from the international community of a peace-keeping troops. Meanwhile reports suggest calm may be returning to Dili and that the violence in East Timor is passing. A UN team is currently in Dili - see... Reports Suggest Calm May Be Returning To Dili  . Earlier yesterday New Zealand Foreign Minister Don McKinnon said there was a growing belief that there will be a peacekeeping force in East Timor within days as pressure mounts on Indonesia - see... Peacekeepers In East Timor Within Days? 
Scoop Puts An Edge On APEC
Jakarta Says Order Restored In Dili
- Indonesia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has told Scoop that atrocities in East Timor have been largely quelled. See... Indonesian Ministry Says Timor Tensions Easing  . Indonesia's Director of foreign relations said a formal statement on the East Timor situation will be made on Monday. See... Jakarta Says Statement on Timor On Monday  . See also… Indonesian Govt. Says Dili Is In Army's Control  .
Blood And Fear
... it is the genius of Paul Holmes that he somehow contrives for you to watch his show just when the shit is hitting the fan…. writes Russell Brown today. See... HARD NEWS 10/9/99 - Blood and Fear  in the Headlines wire.
East Timor As Seen In Dublin
- East Timor dominates the front pages of the press here as it does, no doubt, in New Zealand, and there is a clear sentiment that the United Nations has made another catastrophic mistake. W. S. Sumpter writes from Dublin. See... East Timor As Seen From Dublin  in the Headlines wire.
New Zealand Free Trade Deal With Singapore
- Designed on the blueprint of CER, New Zealand and Singapore have sealed a free trade agreement. The two economies are heralding the deal as “significant for both countries” and a leading example for other APEC countries to follow. There are already indications that the example of the Singapore deal may be widened. Yesterday Mrs Shipley met with the Chilean President in a bi-lateral meeting and agreed to commence a scoping study to evaluate whether a similar agreement to that with Singapore could be reached with Chile. See... NZ Singapore Free Trade Deal A "Bogor Blueprint"  in the Headlines wire.
Progess On China’s Entry To WTO At Superpower Summit
- United States and China are moving closer to achieving an elusive trade deal and China’s entry into the World Trade Organisation may be managed before the WTO talks scheduled for November. See Scoop’s Selwyn Manning’s report from the post summit press conference... WTO and Taiwan Dominate Meeting of Presidents  in the Headlines wire.
Sensitive Issues Occupy Superpower Bilateral
- The Chinese and United States ministers have been working to fast-track improved relations between the two countries parading a volley of statements designed to encourage their respective presidents to begin firm meaningful dialogue. See... China Places Much Hope On US/Sino Bilaterals  in the Headlines wire. The leaders of the richest and most populous nations on the planet met yesterday at 5pm.
Sexual Criminal Accusations Lead To Police Action
- Police have arrested a protester for carrying a placard inscribed accusing US President Bill Clinton as being a sexual criminal. See... Police Arrest Anti-Clinton Protester  in the Headlines wire.
Apocalypse Now Atmosphere In Deserted City
- The skyline above Auckland's central city resembles scenes from the movie Apocalypse Now. Huey choppers hover above Aotea Centre Square, their gunner doors open and at the ready. The "thud thud thud" of the sound breaking blades pound windows of the…..(Scoop’s Selwyn Manning in the APEC media centre waxes lyrical in the Headlines wire) See... Auckland On The Brink Of APEC  and Scoop Images: APEC The Calm Before The Storm  both in the Headlines wire.
Air Force One Arrives In Godzone
- US President Bill Clinton's motorcade has arrived in downtown Auckland. He will be in residence for the next three days at the Stamford Plaza Hotel. For more on arrival see... USA President Bill Clinton Arrives In New Zealand  in the Headlines wire.
Bill, Chelsea and Hillary’s Mum All Coming To Apec
- Scoop is delighted to learn that the President of the United States, William Jefferson Clinton, will be accompanied on his State visit to New Zealand by his daughter and Mrs Dorothy Rodham - Hillary Rodham Clinton's mum. Hillary is not coming. Bill Clinton is the first US President to visit since Lyndon Johnson made a flying visit in 1966. http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9909/S00256.htm