Top Scoops

Book Reviews | Gordon Campbell | Scoop News | Wellington Scoop | Community Scoop | Search

 

Australian Troops Accused Of Torturing Militiamen

The following report was carried this morning in the Jakarta English language daily the Jakarta Post. It reports an East Timorese militia commander accusing Australian peace-keepers of torturing eight militiamen in Dili East Timor.

Transcript Begins

JAKARTA (JP): Chairman of the National Commission on Human Rights Marzuki Darusman urges the Australian-led International Force for East Timor (Interfet) to be indiscriminate in its efforts to uphold human rights in East Timor.

"I want a confirmation from Interfet that they are prepared to respect everybody and ensure human rights protection for all (East Timorese), especially as efforts to uphold human rights (in the province) now rest with the Interfet," Marzuki said Saturday as quoted by Antara.

Interfet must respect the rights of all East Timorese regardless of their political aspirations, he added.

Marzuki was responding to a statement from a commander of the Integration Fighters (PPI) commander, Filomeno Antonio Britto, who said Friday that Australian troops had tortured eight PPI members identified as Lino Soares, Antoninho Soares, Marcelino de Jesus, Gregorio Soares, Matias Soares, Alberto, Domingos and Clementino, all residents of Manatuto regency.

"One of them, Clementino, was burned to death," Filomeno said in Atambua, East Nusa Tenggara.
He added that five of the victims managed to escape to Atambua while two were still missing.
Filomeno said the eight men were among a flock of refugees who packed Dili Port on their way to Atambua on Monday.

"They were unarmed and were leaving Dili to take refugee in Atambua," he said, adding that the National Council of East Timorese Resistance (CNRT) was behind the incident.

The Australian Embassy issued a written denial of the allegation on Friday, saying press reports about the incident were not true.

So far, only Indonesian media has carried stories of the alleged incident.

Transcript Ends

The Jakartapost can be read online at… http://www.thejakartapost.com/

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Top Scoops Headlines

 

Veronika Meduna: The Kaikoura Rebuild

A Scoop Foundation Investigation The South Island’s main transport corridor will be open to traffic again, more than a year after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake mangled bridges and tunnels, twisted rail tracks and buried sections of the road under massive landslides. More>>

Charlotte Graham: Empowering Communities To Act In A Disaster
The year of record-breaking natural disasters means that in the US, as in New Zealand, there’s a conversation happening about how best to run the emergency management sector... More>>

ALSO:

Jan Rivers: The New Zealanders Involved In Brexit

There are a number who have strong connections to New Zealand making significant running on either side of the contested and divisive decision to leave the European Union. More>>

Rawiri Taonui: The Rise, Fall And Future Of The Independent Māori Parties

Earlier this month the Māori Party and Mana Movement reflected on the shock loss of their last parliamentary seat in this year’s election. It is timely to consider their future. More>>

Don Rennie: Is It Time To Take ACC Back To First Principles?

The word “investing” has played a major part in the operations of the ACC since 1998... More>>

Using Scoop Professionally? Introducing ScoopPro

ScoopPro is a new offering aimed at ensuring professional users get the most out of Scoop and support us to continue improving it so that Scoop continues to exist as a public service for all New Zealanders. More>>

ALSO: