NEWSFLASH 13 OCTOBER: PAKISTAN MILITARY COUP
The Pakistan government of Nawaz Sharif has been dismissed by the army. The army chief will address the nation shortly...(see..below for report). Television stations and PM’s residence have been overrun by troops. Former Pakistan PM Benazir Bhutto – in London - says it is a very serious situation. She has since appeared on CNBC saying it is nothing to do with Kashmir. The financial markets are reeling.
Pakistan Coup Leader’s Statement
- The Pakistani military commander General Parvaiz Musharraf has just addressed the Pakistani people via a live television and radio address explaining the circumstances behind this mornings coup. The address was carried live on International television. See... Pakistan’s Commander In Chief Addresses The Nation  in the Headlines wire.
White House Briefing On Pakistan Coup
- MR. LOCKHART: "Well, we know from our embassy there and from other sources that, clearly, there's a political crisis unfolding. We are trying to ascertain hard and certain information as we speak. This is, obviously, a fluid situation." See… White House Briefing On Pakistan Coup  in the General wire.
TRANSCRIPT: BBC Profile Of Pakistan Coup Leader
- Little is known about General Pervez Musharraf - but he was one of the most significant players in the recent Kashmir crisis. See… TRANSCRIPT: BBC Profile Of Pakistan Coup Leader  in the Headlines wire.
McKinnon Says Coup “Very Worrying”
- Foreign Minister Don McKinnon said the military takeover of the Government in Pakistan is very worrying. See… Coup Step Backwards For Democracy In Pakistan  in the Parliament wire.
US State Department Briefing On Pakistan Crisis
– See… US State Department Briefing On Pakistan Crisis  in the General wire.