Scoop Today - Scoop Has All The News You Need
Weather, rugby and politics.... Scoop has it all.
Caption: JEFF WILSON - COMING HOME SOON:
Two days to go till the grudge match. For more on how NZ's men in black lost see.. A Story You Would Probably Rather Not Read  in the Headlines wire. For background see Haka: Legend Of The All Blacks  for an explanation of why Kiwis take this game so seriously. See also... ... Scoop Images: Salt In The Wound  .
Watch Out! Big Rain Coming
- TV3 weather guru Augie Auer is predicting a big horrible mean storm for the coming 48 hours. Put away your boats. Watch out for floods and stay at home, he says. Scoop plots the storm. See... Scoop Images: Supercomputer Plots Stubborn Storm  in the Headlines wire.
Four Changes to All Blacks For South Africa
– The All Blacks have made four changes to the side to play South Africa. Kees Meeuws replaces Craig Dowd as tighthead prop with Dowd replacing Carl Hoeft as loosehead. Royce Willis replaces Robin Brooke at lock and Justin Marshall takes back his halfback jersey from Byron Kelleher. The match kicks off at Cardiff at 9am on Friday (NZT).
Bunkle Withdraws from Wellington Central
- The Alliance will announce this morning to withdraw their Wellington Central candidate Phillida Bunkle from the seat to give Labour's Marian Hobbs the best chance of defeating ACTs Richard Prebble. Alliance Leader Jim Anderton says the decision to withdraw Bunkle is a local initiative which follows consultation in the electorate. A press conference is being held at 10am. See… Bunkle: 'Elect Me On The Party Vote'  in the Parliament wire. Richard Prebbles youth wing, the ‘Prebble’s Rebels’ at Victoria University, have labelled Phillida Bunkle's decision to withdraw from the Wellington Central election race as cowardly. See… Back-Room Bunkle - Rebels  in the Politics wire. NZ First launched their own Wellington Central candidate today. See… Wellington Central More Than Just A Two Horse Race  and David Carter said he predicted the accomodation all along. See… "Covert Deals" come true  in the Parliament wire. Winston Peters also says the Alliance is again propping up Labour. See… Wellington Central - Alliance Propping up Labour  in the Parliament wire. ACT Leader and Wellington Central MP Richard Prebble says the sudden withdrawal of Phillida Bunkle from Wellington Central appears to be an act of desperation. See… Wheels Falling Off Alliance Campaign  in the Parliament wire.
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00064.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9911/S00015.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00072.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00071.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00078.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00090.htm
French Finance Minister Resign - Corruption Widespread
- The French finance minister, dogged by fraud allegations, has resigned, while a UN-sponsored report says corruption in South Asia is widespread and dangerous. John Howard reports. See… French Minister Resigns - Corruption Spreading  in the Headlines wire.
New Electricity Deal Signed
- The Employers & Manufacturers Association (Northern) and Energy Options Ltd announced today they have signed a deal to deliver cheaper electricity to association member companies. See… New deal for cheaper power signed  in the Business wire.
NZ First Launch Party List
- New Zealand First President, Doug Woolerton MP, today released New Zealand First's Party List. See… NZ First Party List Announced  in the Parliament wire.
ACT Launch Tax Policy At ‘Notorious’ IRD Branch
– ACT leader Richard Prebble took some time out from his Wellington Central campaign to launch ACTs controversial tax policy at Hamilton’s branch of the IRD. See… Flat Tax - A Fairer Tax, More Jobs - ACT  and Policy: Tax - A Fair Tax System For Jobs & Growth  and Twenty Cents In The Dollar In Five Years  and Policy: Questions and Answers On ACT's Tax Policy  in the Parliament wire. However Labour finance spokesperson Michael Cullen says “Act's pipe-dream costings show Richard Prebble and Rodney Hide are living in fiscal fantasy land.” See… Pipe Dream Economics from Act  in the Parliament wire.
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00070.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00069.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00068.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00067.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9911/S00076.htm
Te Heuheu Pleased Imported Trout Declined
- Minister for Courts and local list MP Georgina te Heuheu today welcomed the Minister for Conservation’s announcement today to decline an application to import Canadian trout. See… Te Heuheu Welcomes “No” To Trout Importing  in the Parliament wire.
Whakapapa Upgrade Inappropriate
- Conservation Minister Nick Smith has announced Government approval for a $800,000 upgrade of the Whakapapa Visitor Centre involving substantial expansion of the building, new interactive displays and a new integrated audio visual show. See… Whakapapa Gets $800,000 Facelift  in the Parliament wire. However conservationists have described the $800,000 expansion of the Tongariro National Park Whakapapa Visitors' Centre as a luxury conservation can ill afford. See… Whakapapa Upgrade Inappropriate Luxury  in the Politics wire.
Treatment of Depression may Suffer from Funding Cuts – Med Assn
. - Tens of thousands of New Zealanders with depression and anxiety disorders may suffer under a PHARMAC decision to cut subsidies for modern antidepressant drugs, the New Zealand Medical Association says. See… Treatment of depression may suffer - NZMA  . Pharmac disagree, saying the NZMA is scaremongering. See… NZMA Jumping the Gun  . Both in the General wire.
Economy Sound – English
- Credit rating agency Moody's annual report on New Zealand confirms that we have a strong, adaptable economy, Treasurer Bill English says. See… Credit rating agency confirms NZ economy sound  in the Parliament wire.
Overseas Doctors Given A Break
- The government has announced a package to overseas doctors who had previously been unable to work in New Zealand. See… Training Package To Get Overseas Trained Doctors  in the Parliament wire.
Britomart Project All Over
- Auckland City Council has voted to terminate the Master Development Agreement (MDA) for the Britomart project. See… Britomart Agreement Is Ended  in the Politics wire.
Peters Speech: Political cliques or Policies?
- An Address by Rt Hon Winston Peters to a Public Rally at the James Hay Theatre, Christchurch Town Hall, 86 Kilmore Street, Christchurch at 12:30pm Tuesday 2nd November 1999. See… What do we vote for? Political cliques or Policies  in the Parliament wire.
84 Per Cent Hike In Huge Student Debt
- The Student loans scheme report published on Tuesday shows a huge increase in the number of students owing mortgage size debts and an alarming increase in the number of young people leaving the country. See… 84% increase in huge student debts  in the Parliament wire.
It’s All Affordable – Treasurer Changes Tune
– After initially denying it, Treasurer Bill English now says corporate and personal tax cuts, dollar for dollar social spending and surpluses are all affordable. See… Tax cuts, $ for $, and surpluses all achievable  in the Parliament wire.