TIMOR TODAY 03 February 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
a) Timor Aid's supply barge unloads in Timor's capital Dili. The agency's other ship, the Patricia Ann is transporting displaced persons from Indonesia back to Timor. (Photo by Jim Holmes)
1) Looking for Relief in East Timor 03/02/00 (The Washington Post) Lynn Fredriksson returned five days ago from East Timor, where she toured the countryside and watched the Patricia Ann, also called "the mercy ship," steam into Dili harbor with some 400 refugees from western Timor, where the land border remains closed.
2) Wiranto attends cabinet meeting despite call to resign 03/02/00 (AP) JAKARTA - A standoff between Indonesia's president and the military over human rights abuses in East Timor continued Wednesday after the head of state again demanded the powerful security minister Gen. Wiranto to quit.
3) Troops swap hats as UN peacekeeping operation takes command 03/02/00 (South China Morning Post) A United Nations peacekeeping operation in East Timor started yesterday as international troops swapped hats in a symbolic ceremony.
4) East Timor careful over policy direction 03/02/00 (The Nation) EAST Timorese leaders said yesterday their country should join both Asean and the South Pacific Forum as this would best serve the country's strategic interests and future foreign policy direction.
5) Tour of terror, Australian police officer talks 03/02/00 (The Canberra Times) Tour of terror and trauma; an Australian federal police officer talks to Peter Clack about his painful experiences during his service in East Timor.
6) Ten bodies exhumed from mass grave in East Timor 03/02/99 (Associated Press) DILI, East Timor - U.N. officials in East Timor Wednesday found the remains of 10 bodies in a burial site they fear may contain up to 60 victims killed by anti-independence militia gangs.
7) Wahid-Wiranto showdown threatens Indon's precarious stability 03/02/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - The showdown between President Abdurrahman Wahid and General Wiranto threatens to plunge Indonesia into a new period of instability and increases the risk of a military coup, analysts said Wednesday.
8) Interview with Indonesian President Wahid in London 03/02/00 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) Indonesia's President, Abdurrahman Wahid, has disparaged suggestions that his bid to remove the Security Minister, General Wiranto, could result in a coup against his new government.
9) East Timorese journalists visiting Australia 03/02/00 (AAP) BRISBANE - East Timorese journalists arrived in Australia today to discuss ways to re-build their shattered local news services and to look at the media's role in shaping their new nation.
10) Asean's Commitment to New Nation Tested 03/02/00 (Inter Press Service) Previously hostile toward East Timor, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) now faces a serious test this week, in its commitment to the newest nation state in the region.
11) UNTAET Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 01 to 02 Feb 03/02/00 (UNTAET) Oekussi Following the first official hand over ceremony yesterday from Interfet to the UNTAET Peacekeeping Force (PKF) for the eastern sector of the territory, the Ambeno enclave will be the second sector to be handed over from Interfet to the PKF. This is expected to take place on 7 February.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe fromá the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org