TIMOR TODAY 04 February 2000
TIMOR TODAY 04 February 2000
For full text see…. http://www.easttimor.com/
a) Indonesia's powerful security minister, Gen. Wiranto, yesterday ignored the president's calls for his resignation and criticized a government report that blames him and other top officers for violence in East Timor.(AP Photo/Sinead Lynch/WPA pool)
1) Controversy Over Wiranto Intensifies 04/02/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - The discourse on whether Coordinating Minister for Political Affairs and Security Gen. Wiranto should resign over the East Timor debacle snowballed on Thursday, amid fears about a further plunge of the rupiah resulting from the political tension.
2) Will Wahid tackle Indonesia’s terror machine? 04/02/00 (The Age) THE Indonesian Government doesn't have an impressive record of investigating its own crimes in East Timor. And the Australian Government has been equally suspect in its reactions to Jakarta's inquiries.
3) Timor seeks investment to tackle unemployment woes 04/02/00 (Kyodo News Service) Xanana Gusmao voiced concern Thursday at the increasing potential for social unrest in the U.N.-administered territory due to widespread joblessness, and urged foreign investors to look into labor-intensive business opportunities there.
4) Indon Govt to submit 'strong' rights tribunal bill 04/02/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - A group of legal experts is putting the final touches to a new bill which could provide the key legal instrument to try Gen. Wiranto for human rights abuses in East Timor.
5) Horta: "600,000 witnesses ready to testify at tribunal" 04/02/00 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) East Timorese independence leader, Jose Ramos Horta says he's happy for the trials of the Indonesian Generals he believes were responsible for the atrocities carried out in his homeland to be tried in Indonesia.
6) Japan ends humanitarian airlift in West Timor 04/02/00 (UNHCR) A Japanese airlift of UNHCR's relief supplies from Surabaya on the Indonesian island of Java for East Timor refugees in West Timor ended on Tuesday.
7) East Timor leadership plans congress on strategic issues 04/02/00 (Financial Times) The umbrella group representing the leadership of East Timor is planning to hold a national congress in August to decide on "major strategic options" for the country, including whether to join the Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean) or the South Pacific Forum.
8) A grammar of the Fehan dialect of Tetun 04/02/00 (Pacific Linguistics) PACIFIC LINGUISTICS is happy to announce the publication of “A grammar of the Fehan dialect of Tetun”, an Austronesian language of West Timor.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com