TIMOR TODAY 17 February 2000
TIMOR TODAY 17 February 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
a) Military forensic specialists prepare to exhume a shallow grave outside the town of Mobara, west of Dili. Iinternational war crimes tribunal, on Wednesday vowed to begin the trials of those behind last year's atrocities in East Timor in three months. 'In a limit of three months, we will have a trial process,' Attorney-General Marzuki Darusman told reporters after meeting United Nations chief Kofi Annan in Jakarta. (Darren Whiteside/Reuters)
1) SBS 'Dateline' traces militia funding to Indonesian government. 17/02/00 (http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline) SBS æDatelineÆ program links militia funding directly to the indonesian state - involving the department of foreign affairs and cabinet ministers amongst others. It follows the money trail and explores the continued misuse of World Bank funds to bankroll the militia killings. The revelations of state complicity raise questions about the capacity of an Indonesian government appointed court to investigate those most responsible for the recent murders in east timor.
2) East Timor trial in three months 17/02/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - Attorney General Marzuki Darusman said on Wednesday that trials of those accused of involvement in the campaign of terror and destruction in East Timor last year would start in three months.
3) 35 Prosecutors Appointed to Work on KPP HAM Case 17/02/00 (Indonesian Observer) JAKARTA ù The Attorney General Office (AGO) announced yesterday it has set up a team of 35 prosecutors that will deal with the assessment of the recommendations made by the Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights (KPP HAM).
4) æWithout Law, KPP-HAM Report is NothingÆ -Komnas HAM Chairman 17/02/00 (Indonesian Observer) JAKARTA ù Chairman of the National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) Djoko Soegianto says Indonesia must enact a law on human rights, because without one it will be impossible to bring to trial those accused of last yearÆs violations in East Timor.
5) IndonesiaÆs suspect cronies still clinging to top posts 17/02/00 (South China Morning Post) Jakarta - With the suspension of General Wiranto from the cabinet, one of 33 alleged human rights abusers has been rendered inactive, but several others remain in full employ.
6) Jordan general rejects bias fear 17/02/00 (South China Morning Post) Oecussi - The commander of Jordanian troops who began patrolling the Oecussi enclave of East Timor yesterday reassured sceptical locals that his country's ties to Indonesia would not affect the integrity of their peacekeeping mission.
7) Brutal Prabowo casts a shadow of fear over Jordanian troops 17/02/00 (The Independent) The general, it turned out, was an old military classmate of Prince û now King û Abdullah, and he quickly took up a comfortable residence in Amman. In a special royal decree, the King granted his old friend Jordanian nationality
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe fromá the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org