Americas Cup – Maori Language Signs – Round The Clock Booze – Child Set Alight – Eruption – ACC Fraud – Inside Political Headlines – Editorial: Witness Intimidation
AMERICAS CUP: The Dominion leads today with the Americas Cup victory of Team NZ. The Headline “Kamikaze Tactics” is positioned above pictures of the two skippers Prada’s de Angelis is pictured scratching his head, while Russell Coutts looks menacing in shades. The accompanying story says the Italian tycoon owner of the Prada syndicate, Patrizio Bertelli, blasted his skipper and crew yesterday for making a birthday present of the fourth race in the Americas Cup to Russell Coutts. Another report says New Zealand is getting ready to party over the first big success of the new century.
Also on the front page:
- MAORI LANGUAGE SIGNS: a report that it is a sign of times: Transit New Zealand has approved road signs featuring Maori place names below their English language equivalents;
- ROUND THE CLOCK BOOZE: a report that a Paraparaumu supermarket has applied for a 22-hour, seven day license to sell alcohol;
- CHILD SET ALIGHT: a report that boys who set alight a Rotorua girl’s shorts, causing third degree burns, are unlikely to receive any formal punishment, police say.
- ERUPTION: a report that the Conservation Department has closed the Craters of the Moon thermal area near Taupo after an eruption spread ash and mud over a 100m area;
- ACC FRAUD: a report that an Auckland man exposed as one of the top five fraudsters in ACC history has received the longest sentence for ripping off the corporation – three years jail.
Inside Political Headlines:
- Labour may drop super tax plan;
- Abortion authority “not needed”
- ABOUT THE HOUSE: Burning issues barely glow in torpid house;
- Beehive briefing for Commerce Staff;
- Suggestion NZ not pulling its weight upsets Clark;
- Goff: Call for child advocate premature;
- Samuels accused of verbal abuse;
- Mallard outlines spectrum stance;
- McCully wants Turia out of Moutoa talks.
EDITORIAL – WITNESS INTIMIDATION: A common thread in the descent into chaos is discussed.