Plane Crash – Cyber Romance – Gallipoli – Stormy Weather – Soldier Dies In Timor – Post ANZAC Departure – Inside Political Headlines – Editorial: Pets
PLANE CRASH: The Dominion leads today with a report that the mother of an Otaki woman killed in a plane crash near Wanaka warned her daughter and partner not to go when she took them to Paraparaumu airport. Five people died instantly in the crash just before midday on Monday.
CYBER ROMANCE: The front-page photo story concerns cyber romance. Maree Candy is pictured with her laptop computer which has a picture of her boyfriend. The accompanying story reports that the man or woman of your dreams could be lurking in cyberspace.
Also on the front page:
- GALLIPOLI: a report that a peace park to be established at Gallipoli would stand as a place of peace and inspiration for future generations, Prime Minister Helen Clark said yesterday;
- STORMY WEATHER: a report that a wintry blast interrupted ferry sailings, delayed flights, caused road accidents and dumped snow on some North Island ranges yesterday;
- SOLDIER DIES IN TIMOR: a report that a New Zealand soldier was killed in an accident in East Timor yesterday and three others injured. Staff Sergeant William Edward White of Palmerston North was killed in the Suai region in a vehicle accident;
- POST ANZAC DEPARTURE: a report an elderly man died at the Otahuhu RSA club after attending an ANZAC Day ceremony yesterday.
Inside Political Headlines:
- Nats join warning on armed forces;
- Silent witnesses to the “battle that broke NZ’s heart”
- Crosses on beach mark East Timor ceremony;
- NZ urges stronger nuclear resolve;
- Young and old remember fallen soldiers;
- Suharto’s NZ assets to be investigated.
EDITORIAL – PETS: Masterton’s nueterthon is a wakeup call to pet owners.