Anita Faisandier – ANZAC Dollar – Chess Brawl – White Island – Refugees – Zimbabwe: Don McKinnon – Inside Political Headlines – Editorial: ANZAC Dollar
ANITA FAISANDIER: The Dominion leads today with a report of the trial of Lower Hutt businesswoman Anita Faisandier who wrote dud cheques with a face value of more than $40.6 million to finance an extravagant lifestyle and stave off her creditors. Faisandier is pictured arriving for the start of her trial.
Also on the front page:
- ANZAC DOLLAR: a report that New Zealand businesses are strongly in favour of a currency union with Australia according to a ground-breaking study issued yesterday;
- CHESS BRAWL: a report that two chess players are facing possible bans after a punchup during Australia’s premier Grand Prix tournament in Canberra;
- WHITE ISLAND: a report that a scientist visited White Island yesterday after a suspicious lull in its volcanic activity. The scientist says he does not think the strange lull is a precursor of activity to come;
- REFUGEES: a report that immigrants and refugees coming to New Zealand would get more help to settle in, Immigration Minister Lianne Dalziel said yesterday;
- ZIMBABWE – DON MCKINNON: a report that Zimbabwean Prime Minister Probert Mugabe’s incitement of blacks to take land from white farmers was not cause for disciplinary action against his government, Commonwealth secretary-general Don McKinnon saud last night. Don McKinnon says that the political situation in Zimbabwe is not unusual for the African continent.
Inside Political Headlines:
interesr rate stand “branding”;
- Mega deal trade talks begin today;
- West Coast Offer will go back to councils;
- Kiwi lured back for industry crown body;
- Get rid of old boys’ network , says Harre;
- Odd bedfellows back same sex couples plan;
- Social workers scheme grows;
- Budget targets may not be met – agency.
EDITORIAL – ANZAC DOLLAR: Yesterday’s report into currency union with Australia should disarm some nationalists.