Airways Allegations – Umaga’s Baby – West Coast Virus – West Coast Logging – NZ Police To Timor – Inside Political Headlines – Editorial: World Population
AIRWAYS ALLEGATIONS: The Dominion leads today with a report that Prime Minister Helen Clark is demanding answers on payouts to Airways Corporation staff. The front-page photo shows two Airways executives John Maasland and Craig Sinclair at a press conference yesterday.
Also on the front page:
- UMAGA’S BABY: a report that the second of the “Hurricanes Babies” arrived late yesterday afternoon when All Black wing Tana Umaga’s partner Rochelle gave birth to four kilogram (8lb 13oz) Gabrielle in Lower Hutt;
- WEST COAST VIRUS: a report that a virus similar to the debilitating Australian Ross River virus in West Coast mosquitoes and a team of Wellington researchers is trying to establish if it is affecting humans;
- WEST COAST LOGGING: a report hat Finance Minister Michael Cullen and Deputy Prime Minister Jim Anderton won a brief stay of execution for West Coast foresters yesterday, but the Cabinet signed the death warrant for rimu logging on the coast;
- NZ POLICE TO TIMOR: a report that eight NZ police would leave for East Timor on Friday to investigate mass killings that happened during bloody violence last year, Police Minister George Hawkins announced yesterday;
Inside Political Headlines
- National may move to air Treasury
- No pressure on police – Shipley;
- Oil claim may hold up Treaty settlements;
- We’ll drop out if school sold – studnets;
- Cullen tipped to warn of poor growth;
- NZ soldiers to help in evacuation.
EDITORIAL – WORLD POPULATION: India’s 1 billionth baby.