John Tamihere – Nandor Tanczos – Woman Found – Fiji Coup – Porno At Work – License Tampering - - Inside Political Headlines – Editorial: Te Papa
JOHN TAMIHERE: The Dominion leads today with a report that Labour MP John Tamihere has admitted having three drink-driving convictions but rejected an allegatio of fraud after an anonymous fax came to the attention PM Helen Clark yesterday.
NANDOR TANCZOS: The front-page picture shows Nandor Tanczos on a skateboard. He has now become the first Rastafarian skateboarding MP.
Also on the front page:
- WOMAN FOUND: a report that a 76-year-old Chinese woman who vanished from her Auckland home has been found after a week of living rough police say.
- FIJI COUP: a report that supporters of Fiji coup leader George Speight put Suva’s main power station out of action yesterday, plunging the capital in total darkness;
- PORNO AT WORK: Four Department of Child Youth and Family Services staff have been sacked for inappropriate use of the Internet, including accessing pornographic material;
- LICENSE TAMPERING: A report that Scott Welsh was thinging laterally when he drilled a tiny hole in his new driving licence to put it on a key ring.
Inside Political Headlines:
- a report that Anderton spends $2 million on consultants;
- a report that The Government is considering allowing seriously violent criminals – including rapists, aggravated robbers and even murderers – to finish their jail terms on home detention;
- a report that Deputy PM Jim Anderton will push to stop people under 20 from going on the dole;
- a report that Public Prisons manager Phil McCarthy outraged prison officers yesterday by saying that up to 10% of them were selfish and did not follow instructions, and that 14 had been fired for “stupidity”;
- NZ First MP Peter Brown wants to revive the debate over voluntary euthanasia;
- Rules to protect building subcontractors left high and dry when big building companies and developers went bust were being delt with urgently, Commerce Minister Paul Swain said yesterday.
EDITORIAL: Time To Tidy Te