TV1 6pm News Headlines (First Segment)
Student Loans Report - Fiji Swears In President, V. President - NZ Government Reaction - Business Confidence - Kapiti Coast Fire - Nude Cop In Trouble
STUDENT LOANS REPORT: A report released today on the widespread problems students and institutions faced earlier this year with student loans blamed administrators Work And Income New Zealand for the changes. WINZ has said sorry for the problems but the Government has warned there may be further problems with student loans this year.
- FIJI SWEARS IN PRESIDENT V.PRESIDENT: Fiji has taken its first step back towards political stability, swearing in it’s new president today, Ratu Josea Iloilo. .The swearing in took place in front of the deposed President Ratu Sir Kamisese Mara, and interim Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase. George Speight also arrived half way through the proceedings. The new vice president was also named along with key positions in the new interim government.
- NZ GOVERNMENT REACTION: Meanwhile, the New Zealand Government has rejected the new regime because it included no ethnic Indians and did not reinstate the democratically elected Labour government of Mahendra Chaudhry.
- BUSINESS CONFIDENCE: There are mixed signals on the economic front tonight with business confidence suffering the biggest fall in 16 years. However some analysts say the survey, which did not include the booming agricultural sector, represents an a slow improvement in business confidence.
- KAPITI COAST FIRE: Kapiti Coast police believe a blaze that gutted a big second hand goods shop was arson.
- NUDE COP IN TROUBLE: In Southland a police constable is in trouble for his role starring in a video for “World Nude Day.”