Air NZ Profits Down – Petrol Prices – Murder Sentence – Revenge Killing – Man Hunt – Deposition Hearing – Chopper Crash – 747 Engine Trouble – EPO Test – 2008 Olympics
- AIR NZ PROFITS DOWN: Air NZ’s profits are down and that could push up the price of flights. Air NZ’s aviation fuel costs have risen by almost 50 percent in the last year, contributing to a 30 percent fall in profits. Air NZ said gaining control of the poorly performing Ansett Australia has also dented profits. It is likely to mean increased fares, particularly on domestic flights.
- PETROL PRICES: Oil companies have raised petrol prices again, with petrol up 4c and diesel up 5c.
- MURDER SENTENCE: Taffy Hotene is returning to court. He will be sentenced for murder and rape.
- REVENGE KILLING: Revenge may be behind the death of a man in his 20s found on a remote walking track outside Christchurch. Police think the murder may be related to the Christchurch gang drive by shooting earlier this year. The dead man’s clothing had been set alight, and burns are making identification difficult.
- MAN HUNT: A man hunt is underway in Auckland after a liquor store robbery went wrong, with the shop owner shot and killed.
- DEPOSITION HEARINGS: Police have admitted that they are having trouble finding an expert witness in the Ansett Dash-8 crash deposition hearings. Deposition hearings are underway to determine whether the Pilot will be tried for manslaughter.
- CHOPPER CRASH: A Taranaki helicopter pilot has died after his machine crashed in remote country near Wanganui.
- 747 ENGINE TROUBLE: Inquiries are under way overseas after two Boeing 747s have suffered engine problems over the last 24 hours.
- EPO TEST: The IOC has announced a new drug test to detect EPO in athletes will be used in the Sydney Olympics, sending the biggest warning in years to athletes not to cheat.
OLYMPICS: The IOC has revealed the shortlist of candidates
to host the 2008 games. The winning bid will be announced