Greens Trampled – Singapore Trade Agreement – Mob Compensation – Olympic Drug Tests – Kiwi Flag Bearer – Tourist Escapes Avalanche
- GREENS TRAMPLED: Green MPs Sue Bradford and Nandor Tanczos were hurt in day of violence at the World Economic Forum in Melbourne. Journalists, as well as protesters, were hurt in the melee. The police strategy was to hit hard early with superior numbers, breaking the protesters line and allowing delegates into the Crown Casino. As soon as the police backed off the protestors moved back, trapping delegates inside. Michael Cullen decided not to make his scheduled appearance today, after being warned he may not be able to get out of the Casino. Unionists joined the protesters today.
- SINGAPORE TRADE AGREEMENT: The Singapore Trade Agreement is on the brink of collapse, as Jenny Shipley said her party would not support the deal. Labour needs National support after the Alliance decided not to support Labour on the agreement. National will not support the deal because of a Treaty of Waitangi clause in it, even though they included similar clauses in agreements when they were in power.
- MOB COMPENSATION: ACT claims the four Mongrel Mob members awarded compensation for abuse from prison officers received more than ¼ of a million dollars.
- OLYMPIC DRUG TESTS: It is three days till the Sydney Olympics and the IOC is facing more drug criticism. The tests for EPO have been called inadequate by Australian scientists, who say the opportunity for a really clean Olympics has been missed.
- KIWI FLAG-BEARER: Who will carry NZ flag at the Olympics? The team boss has made his decision, but is remaining tight-lipped until it is announced on Thursday.
- TOURIST ESCAPES AVALANCHE: An Israeli tourist
says he had to run for a life from an Avalanche near Treble