Arsonist Convicted – More Maoris Suspended – Casino Investigation – Correction: Sandra Lee
- ARSONIST CONVICTED: John David Sheward, the son of a millionaire, was convicted yesterday of trying to murder his wife and endanger his children by torching the family home in Hastings last year.
- MORE MAORIS SUSPENDED: Maori pupils are three times more likely to be suspended from school as Pakeha pupils, and Pacific Islands pupils 1 ½ times more likely, according to Education Ministry figures.
- CASINO INVESTIGATION: Auckland’s Sky City casino faces an Internal Affairs investigation amid claims by NZ First leader Winston Peters that nearly 90 security officers and gaming staff had committed dishonesty offences.
- SYDNEY OLYMPICS: G’Day To The World will be the shout-out that opens the Sydney Olympics, in an opening ceremony that the master of ceremonies said would be the most extraordinary yet.
- CORRECTION: SANDRA LEE: The Dominion accepts Conservation Minister Sandra Lee’s assurance that she has not at any time instructed conservation staff to upgrade a road which leads to a property or home owned by Mr Tame Iti; or asked the department to enter into any consultancy with Mr Iti, or purchase any of his artworks.
- PM floats idea of joint cetral bank;
- Leaders agree on trade deal compromise;
- Bradford, Tanczos tell of ‘violence’;
- US reassured says Goff;
- Scrap student loans call;
- Maori programme ‘separatist-driven’;
- Tests encouraging.
Beware of the Treaty