Overstayer Amnesty – TVNZ Charter – Credit Card Debt – Aussies Love Swimmer
- OVERSTAYER AMNESTY: Overstayers who have successfully evaded the law for more than five years will be among 8000 people able to escape tough new immigration laws.
- TVNZ CHARTER: Television New Zealand was set to evolve into a public service broadcaster similar to Australia’s ABC or Britain’s “Auntie” BBC under a draft charter issued by the government yesterday, TVNZ sources said.
- CREDIT CARD DEBT: New Zealand’s credit card debt rose to more than $2.56b – up almost 22 percent on a year earlier, Reserve Bank figures issued yesterday show.
- AUSSIES LOVE SWIMMER: Equatorial Guinean Eric Moussambani epitomised the Olympic spirit by swimming the first 100m freestyle race of his life in front of a roaring and sympathetic crowd in Sydney.
- Tribal coalition fobbed off over fisheries bill;
- Inmate payouts a ‘legal matter’;
- One in four give up on IRD;
- We cross live to MPs dressing nicely;
- Common currency not an issue for now – Mallard;
- Role of consumers stressed;
- Timor envoy appointed.
Editorial: New kid on currency block.