Commission Stops Fletcher Energy Sale – Canterbury Storm – Liners Stranded – Paper Darts
- COMMISSION STOPS FLETCHER ENERGY SALE: A $4.6 billion deal to sell Fletcher Energy to international oil giant Shell has been stopped in it’s tracks after the Commerce Commission refused to give permission for the deal to go ahead, because it was concerned that Shell could dominate the gas market.
- CANTERBURY STORM: A ferocious storm caused havoc in Canterbury yesterday. Many residents faced evacuation, thousands experienced power cuts, and road closures cut off outlying towns on Banks Peninsula.
- LINERS STRANDED: Two cruise liners were forced to shelter in Wellington last night after stormy weather ended plans for an evening in Lyttleton.
- PAPER DARTS: Secondary teachers having professional training for the new qualifications system have been asked to make and fly paper darts.
- Shipley sends clear message on leadership issue;
- Mallard leaps into Dalziel’s immigration row;
- Luxton attack misfires;
- Casino staff under a cloud;
- Super tribunal advocated to oversee Treaty process;
- Casino applications delayed till 2003;
- Kiwis maintain hearty appetite for meat.
Policy, not acting