US Elections – Police Morale – Crane Tipped – Holmes Investigation
- US ELECTION: Republican George W. Bush assured Americans yesterday that he would be the next president, but his apparent victory over Democrat Al Gore was suspended for at least another day while a recount was held in Florida.
- POLICE MORALE: More than 450 police have resigned in the past 16 months, fuelling claims of low morale and a brain drain of experienced workers.
- CRANE TIPPED: A 14-tonne palm tree proved too much for an Upper Hutt crane yesterday, tipping it on to a Totara drive house.
- HOLMES INVESTIGATED: Top-paid television Presenter Paul Holmes was being investigated over allegations that he breached editorial ethics, Television New Zealand said yesterday.
- TVNZ plans to go digital next year;
- Speed expert to help police;
- Bank expected to lose for 2 years;
- Coalition’s stability pleases PM;
- Call for all-party talks of child welfare;
- MP wants safer cigarettes;
- Auckland to put $149m into ‘son of Britomart’;
- Focus on local bodies review;
- Science funds in question.
Editorial: Only in