Tua Fight – TAB Collects – Austrian Rail Disaster – US Elections
- TUA FIGHT: New Zealand Samoan heavyweight contender David Tua came up well short against the champion Lennox Lewis in Las Vegas Last Night, losing in a unanimous points decision in 12 rounds.
- TAB COLLECTS: The TAB collected $2.62 million on the Tua-Lewis fight, easily beating the money taken on any event in New Zealand, with racing’s Auckland Cup the next best at $1.5 million.
- AUSTRIAN RAIL DISASTER: About 170 skiers and snowboarders choked and burned to death when fire swept through a packed funicular train trapped inside a mountainside tunnel in the Austrian Alps.
- US ELECTIONS: Electoral authorities in Florida have called for a total manual recount of votes cast for the United States presidency in Florida’s Palm Beach County after a manual recount of a small percentage of votes showed a net gain in those cast for Vice-President Al Gore.
Inside Political Headlines:
- Just when she thought it was safe to leave the country;
- Sir Roger, Prebble differ on ACT tactics;
- NZ and Chile to consider tax pact;
- Criminal charges laid over bad blood;
- Ban will spread say firefighters;
- Pioneer winemaker gets reward.
Editorial: Challenge for Jim’s bank.