NZ Herald news monitor 1 / 12 / 00
$100,000 cap on lump-sum ACC payouts - Citizens want $20 minus Ma'am - Rescue drama at sea as skipper collapses - More than friends we're told - Vet defends branding of sea lions - School at scandal camp to close - Car crashes after eluding police - Court adds three years for child's killing
$100,000 CAP ON LUMP-SUM ACC PAYOUTS - Lose a pinky, get nothing. Lose your ring finger, pocket zilch. Lose a thumb, bank $7500. Welcome to ACC's new lump-sum compensation regime.
- CITIZENS WANT $20 MINUS MA'AM - Off with her head. The new millennium polymer banknotes may look good but the Queen's head must go from the $20 note, says a public opinion survey.
- RESCUE DRAMA AT SEA AS SKIPPER COLLAPSES - The skipper of Auckland's first dolphin-watch tour boat collapsed unconscious while cruising nine miles offshore in the Hauraki Gulf with 15 tourists on his catamaran.
- MORE THAN FRIENDS WE'RE TOLD - Dean Barker and Mandy Smith, the golden boy and girl of New Zealand sport, are apparently an item.
- VET DEFENDS BRANDING OF SEA LIONS - A veterinarian who took part in the hot-iron branding of sea lions is angry that he and Department of Conservation staff have been accused of cruelty.
- SCHOOL AT SCANDAL CAMP TO CLOSE - A school at a Government-funded health camp with a history of sexual and physical abuse is to close.
- CAR CRASHES AFTER ELUDING POLICE - A stolen car which police had tailed across Auckland crashed into three other vehicles late last night, injuring six people.
- COURT ADDS THREE YEARS FOR CHILD'S KILLING - The Hamilton mother and her lesbian lover jailed for the death of 6-year-old Mereana Edmonds have been given longer sentences to reflect the prolonged cruelty and neglect the little girl suffered.